Camshaft and Clutch Error Codes - 3.2 V6

razputin

Reaction score
Had 2 strange gear changes happen this morning on my way into work. They weren't very smooth, a bit clunky, then the EPC light came on. After that the gear changes were fine for the rest of my journey. I did a quick check and got the following codes (below). Are they related? Could the Camshaft position sensor also relate to the strange noise I get when I start the engine from cold that has been happening for the last week? Seems to be a bit more of a grumble from the engine.

All help greatly appreciated.

Address 01: Engine (AUK) Labels: 06E-910-559-BKH.lbl
Part No SW: 8E1 910 559 HW: 8E0 907 559 H
Component: 3.2l V6 FSI 0040
Revision: --H19--- Serial number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Coding: 01040003180F0018
Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000
VCID:

2 Faults Found:
000832 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
P0340 - 006 - Malfunction - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 4
Mileage: 155881 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1792 /min
Mass Air / Rev.: 119.9 mg/str
Temperature: 18.0°C
Idle
Bin. Bits: 00000100
Speed: 0.0 km/h

001796 - Clutch Switch (F36)
P0704 - 008 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 40
Mileage: 157544 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2816 /min
Mass Air / Rev.: 299.8 mg/str
Temperature: 87.0°C
Part Throttle
Load: 44.3 %
Speed: 117.0 km/h

Readiness: 0000 0000

Dunno but from my uneducated eye looks like there is 2k km between the faults?

Assuming that's correct looks like camshaft sensor isn't related to the latest problem

Dunno but from my uneducated eye looks like there is 2k km between the faults?

Assuming that's correct looks like camshaft sensor isn't related to the latest problem

Does it maybe mean that it could do with a new camshaft sensor and a new clutch pedal switch fitted?

Correct me if I'm totally wrong here, but as I need to press the clutch in to start the car, would a faulty switch sending an incorrect message to the ECU be effecting the engine starting? No doubt affect the gear changes too?

do you mean the car won't turn over without clutch depressed?

do you mean the car won't turn over without clutch depressed?

Yes, I have to press mine in to start. Always thought it was odd some do and some don't.

Knackered clutch switch will mess with the revs at gear change and I'd imagine cause starting issues.
Worth a go they're only about £20 and even I can change one (guide on here some where) as for the cam sensors think there's four when I changed mine (gunked up). They're not the pricey either and again managed to change myself. Although could just be connection. Sure I found a guide for them as well. There's two either side part way down the engine. Rears are a little awkward to reach

Yes, I have to press mine in to start. Always thought it was odd some do and some don't.

Knackered clutch switch will mess with the revs at gear change and I'd imagine cause starting issues.
Worth a go they're only about £20 and even I can change one (guide on here some where) as for the cam sensors think there's four when I changed mine (gunked up). They're not the pricey either and again managed to change myself. Although could just be connection. Sure I found a guide for them as well. There's two either side part way down the engine. Rears are a little awkward to reach

Clutch switch ordered, will hopefully install it myself and see how it goes. Then as you say, do the sensors too if that doesn't work. The original camshaft sensor did happen before the switch error so might clear the code and see if it returns.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Ta.

Cleared the fault with VCDS and fitted the new switch which took all of ten minutes. All good now and no issues :)

Reactions: rizzini7