Cam Belt change, book says 114,000, service guy says 75,000

Mustard

Reaction score
Looking at my service handbook it says toothed belt change for my car is either 114,000 miles or 5 years, which ever is sooner.

Speaking to the service advisor in Audi tells me its @ 75,000 miles.

Ok so now I'm confused, which should it be ? Any ideas ?

Ok, its in signature but no matter its a 2009 A4 2.0 TFSI

My service book says 114k so.......
You will be fine, he may have thought you meant timing belt, which, incidently you do not have!
it is a chain driven unit

Ok no worries I will remember that for future reference.

So I don't have a cam belt, its chain driven cam shafts, do you happen to know what a toothed belt is then ? This is what's referred to as the 114,000 miles needs changing ?

Yes mate, it is a large belt at the front of the engine that drives various things.
A bit vague but have a look.
Mines not been done yet as not hit 114k

It is a bit worrying when the professionals don't know what is needed, generally speaking though, from the date the handbook was printed to "today" it is quite possible that change periods have been reduced - though maybe not in your case. One thing to consider, if they confirm that they are meaning the auxiliary belt - which will be a micro-groove belt, getting that replaced early is not a bad idea as if that belt falls apart, it can do a lot of damage to the engine ancilliaries(sp), as well as, on some cars being able to rip the cam drive cover off.

My old VW dealer, when I had a VW Passat 4Motion which had the Audi 2.8 V6 engine, initially refused to book my car in to get its timing belt replaced, I really really had to press the point as the top tech agreed that my car had the 2.8 VR6 chain driven engine - idiots!

Yes mate, it is a large belt at the front of the engine that drives various things.
A bit vague but have a look.
Mines not been done yet as not hit 114k

For the record, originally old style Vee belts ended up being chopped along their length to cut down drag and noise, all modern cars use micro-groove belts for driving the "add ons" or support units..

Im guessing then that the Audi servicing reference to Cam belt is also meaning this toothed belt at the front of the engine which costs £455 by them to change it. https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/...-services.html#/fixPrice?id=8&serviceCode=TIM

No No, these handbooks are just generic so cover chain and belt driven engines, that front mounted belt will not cost much to replace! (or maybe even two belts on that engine - I don't know)

Edit:- does stuffing your reg number into that customer's area page not sort thing out or make things any clearer?

Ah don't be like that, just think about your "poor" Audi main dealer, how are they going to make a mint out of you - on second thoughts, I'm sure they will try some other way!

I've just taken £6K out there piggy bank, you bet they will have a list with my name on it looking for claw backs, tried to hit me with a £2K bill to fix the sun roof....... Never thought that would be so expensive

I like my Audi main dealer, they waste my time which is good as my wife can't get me to do as many tasks as she would like! I try to keep in control when I'm in there, which they don't like or understand - and it seems that they have stopped trying to force me to complete a customer satisfaction when I get work done - which suits me! I do object to them trying to get my car in about 18 months early for its next service though - not a good idea!