1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C5 RS6 gearbox swap guide?

fourcircle Apr 25, 2017

1. fourcircle

fourcircle nj

Afternoon.
    I'm looking for any threads that show a C5 RS6 auto gearbox swap. There's a car for sale that seems nice, other than that the auto box won't go up past 3rd. I've re-shelled an S2, broken quite a few cars for parts and fixed, swapped and modded more than I can remember. But I'm wondering how bad this would be on a scale of 'horrible' to 'ohjesuswhydidIstartthisIshouldhavejustboughtafriggincorsa'?
    I've been searching but can't find much. It does require a gearbox swap right?
    I see there's also an option for a manual RS4 box conversion for the truly hardcore.
    cheers
    nj

2. Hairless wonder

Hairless wonder New Member

I'm in the same predicament with my s6. Won't engage 1st or 2nd gear.

3. fourcircle

fourcircle nj

I ended up backing out of the purchase because it was looking bloody expensive to buy a decent reconditioned gearbox. By all accounts it's fairly common and most of the RS6s I found being broken on ebay were for that very reason. I wouldn't break a decent car over the problem but I was hearing prices of £500 + fitting.

Nollywood likes this.
  4. Nollywood

Nollywood B6 420-TS Avant Team Votex Team V8 Audi RS6 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro Manual

And you really think £500 + fitting is unreasonable?

5. fourcircle

fourcircle nj

I didn't say unreasonable. I said expensive.

The cost of the car, plus the reconditioned gearbox, plus transport, plus fitting, plus getting the car to Finland (where I live) and then paying the crazy Finnish import tax.. all would have meant the total purchase price was very expensive. I didn't suggest that the actual part and fitting costs were unreasonable though.