bxe engine crap?

A Passat BXE victim from the weekend who somehow though he had a BKC .

0561F11C 3D00 4D95 A298 9D863BF87C10 zpsn0hbuzbw

Really feel for these people...VAG need to get their stuff together!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope whoever decided to swap these conrods out for inferior ones has got the sack...Probably not though, probably got a bonus for finding ways to save money

It's heart breaking he'd spent a fortune on it thinking it was a BKC well aware of BXE failings.

He even replaced a failed turbo just 2 months ago .

He's breaking it and lost for what to invest in next.

FE5655BD 8EC5 4363 ADE9 841F961E1988 zps6j1hkyyr

Oh joy! I've recently bought a 56 plate golf with the BXE engine and I had no idea of the issues with the conrods.
It's done 98k and yesterday I had the oil changed, Castrol edge.
I was expecting to get 100k more from the car without any problems (it has fsh).
Ho hum looks like I'm driving a time bomb!

You don't have to as there is the preventative of changing the upper rod big end bearings , make sure they are heavy duty splutter coated type .

My BLS is now on 143k and so far no issues. It gets driven hard every day and I don't dootle about.

It's remapped, EGR and DPF have been deleted but since I got it at 20k, it's been serviced religiously every 8k.

You don't have to as there is the preventative of changing the upper rod big end bearings , make sure they are heavy duty splutter coated type .
Is this a VW recall then or just a mod / upgrade? I might contact the dealers in the service history and see if it has been done.

No recall...

Stealers are ******* , you will be faced with complete denial that it ever happens .

It is modern bi-metal bearings , long oil change intervals , owners thrashing the daylights out of them and brittle sintered powered forged metal GKN type con rods all added together that cause it .

The upper bearings wear through , pick up on the crank , micro weld , stall the rod and then pop out for a visit , often through the AC compressor !

These all came out of the same engine , on the left are the standard lower shells and on the right the Sputter coated heavy duty uppers !

23f465d9-0ad9-4afe-9da6-23b1b97cb764_zpsst9l4uye.jpg

Get them upper bearing shells changed folks .
Obviously do the lower as well whilst at it .

To do it...

The rods and bearings used in the BKC and BXE
( plus the BLS ) are identical BUT the BKC uses a different crankshaft to the BXE and BLS , this could have some bearing on the issue .

Phil Miller a VAG indi in Cornwall had 9 failures in a year , when done precautionary bearing replacements and typically the bearings look like those in the picture above , heavily and unusually worn .

It is important to use Sputter type coated upper rod bearings when doing this job such as the KS 77556600 .

It is difficult to estimate the typical cost but the job takes around five hours with around £250 in parts including oil and filter so you would be looking at around £550 .

Bearings from other companies they give their coating a different name, as long as they are from a reputable company and the uppers are of a heavy duty design you should be OK .

Mahle are going to introduce these bearings soon .
The bolts are genuine only .

hi. saw this thread. got a broken BXE like 4 days ago. my question is - any ideas if i can install a BVK from a vw Sharan in place of the BXE?

Hi, I don't have any problem with my motor BXE. I read a lot of topic in google.
But Gazwould give a mystake. The reference for rod bearing is 77554600. The 77556600 is for 3 cylenders TDI.

Coussinet de bielle KB Touran

Not my mistake but a Nottingham VAG indie of 35+ years , lol .

You must check and double check any application.

Ok :D Sorry, but I don't know your garage. I'm a french guy ;)
I found my information on the kolbenschmidt's catalog

Coussinet de bielle KB TDI 3 cyl

We own a workshop and maintain a fleet of Jetta's with the BXE engine. I don't think one has come to the end of its 4 year life span with the company without throwing a conrod (usually #2). The only notable reason we see for this is the conrod's are considerably thinner than the older TDI's and a lot lighter, presumably to lower the reciprocal weight. We have adapted the older PD130 (ASZ etc) block to fit which can be had for pennies and are built twice as strong (the rods are at least twice as thick). Most of the conversion is bolt & go, the difficulty is boring the hole for the crank sensor and fitting the pick-up ring on the crank. We've done quite a few now and they've had zero issues since. We've also gone to the lengths of fitting 4 PD130 pistons & rods in the higher mileage ones before the inevitable happens! Just a thought if you're reading this thread with this known issue having caused you problems!
Hi new to this forum ,would it be possible to tel me what exactly has to be done to convert a asz to fit a mk5 golf
Or if you could email me that would be great
Many thanks in advance
Steve

My BLS is now on 143k and so far no issues. It gets driven hard every day and I don't dootle about.

It's remapped, EGR and DPF have been deleted but since I got it at 20k, it's been serviced religiously every 8k.

Now on 180k and still running sweet as a nut.

The VNT is starting to sieze but that's easily sorted with a refurb.

Now on 180k and still running sweet as a nut.

The VNT is starting to sieze but that's easily sorted with a refurb.

19th oil change today using quality premium parts and it's just turned 190k. Turned out the actuator on the turbo was at fault and had it replaced. Drives like new now.

I believe the only engines that give up are unloved and uncared for or are serviced using inferior parts.

IMG 0420

LongLife variable intervals are definitely a factor .

For all it costs for oil, oil filter and a sump bung from VW I don't understand why people still use the 20k intervals. It was just over £30 for my minor service bits although the new-style odour pollen filter was an additional £14.40.

Just signed up to say I’ve had the same problem! My Golf 2008 1.9 TDI with 88,000 miles on the clock broke down, no warning signs, no lights come on, nothing...... just a bang in the engine.

Got towed to a local garage who gave me the bad news, blown engine and irreparable, got home and did a bit of research on this and found loads of forums with the same problem, checked my books and it was a BXE engine. I bought the car from my local VW Dealership when just over 1 year old, and would not expect these cars to blow an engine like this.

Very frustrated and disappointed over this, as now have a worthless car.

Just found this forum and didnt even know the BXE engine has this fault.
I've got a A3 -08 with the BXE and got 178k km on it and works just fine.
Service intervalls every 10k and Constant Care of it.
Maybe i'll get it changed for another car since i dont really want to get the conrod through the block failure.

Best regards.
Anton

Just found this forum and didnt even know the BXE engine has this fault.
I've got a A3 -08 with the BXE and got 178k km on it and works just fine.
Service intervalls every 10k and Constant Care of it.
Maybe i'll get it changed for another car since i dont really want to get the conrod through the block failure.

Best regards.
Anton

Just replace the upper conrod bearings and lower whilst at it .

220k on mine now, not an issue :)

I have an Audi A3 2007 year with BXE engine. Mine had 220.000km, and during the drive it started to shake the engine really bad, no lights, no warnings, nothing. Car stops, unable to start it up again. I towed it to a mechanic and he found 2 holes (3x4 cm) in the lower side of the block. In mine it was to blame the oil pump, and if I knew that I would change the oil pump every 100.000 km.

I am wondering what engine could I replace instead of BXE, since three mechanics told me that I can only replace it with BXE engine, and that I'm not really into.

I have an Audi A3 2007 year with BXE engine. Mine had 220.000km, and during the drive it started to shake the engine really bad, no lights, no warnings, nothing. Car stops, unable to start it up again. I towed it to a mechanic and he found 2 holes (3x4 cm) in the lower side of the block. In mine it was to blame the oil pump, and if I knew that I would change the oil pump every 100.000 km.

I am wondering what engine could I replace instead of BXE, since three mechanics told me that I can only replace it with BXE engine, and that I'm not really into.

354,000km on mine at the time of that post if you convert miles to KM. Still going strong.

Few more miles then...

Triiifecto_13_NuclearExplosion_350_grande.png

Still have every faith in it. Premium service parts every 10k, 3 times a year with zero short journeys means it’s getting what a Diesel engine needs.

With these there is no old school morning start , tell tale , 'knock , knock'.

It just goes without warning .

Hello guys, i just registered to this site to bring this topic back up, i have an audi a3 1.9 tdi se and i see you guys saying about the bxe engine throwing a con rod well mine has thrown 3!!! And i am not happy, im getting a bkc engine as ive heard there the sister to the bxe and you can run of the same ecu and they also dont throw rods! I only had 115k on the clock with the engine maintained to a very very high standard as my mate works for vw but can anyone tell me that i can run same ecu? Or any suggestions

My 57 Plate A3 BXE engine decided to commit suicide on the M4 last month. She was only 96K. Although i had the car remapped, i don't believe this would of caused it. As far as servicing goes; Full service history with weekly inspections (the car is my pride and joy).

for anyone wondering what engine to get next, I'm now running a 52K BKC engine donated from a MK5 Golf. I can't find any issues with these engines on the forums.
Hello mate, ive got same problem, i got a 2008 a3 1.9 tdi se, she remapped aswel and she committed suicide on me to couple months back, im going to put a BKC engine in, do i have to change my ecu or get it mapped in? Or is it straight fit

24th oil change today at 237,000 miles (381k km)

Still no issues to report :)

5E18E995 48CB 4983 94FE E4721AE377D3

My old golf BXE is still driving around town 115k ish. I asked the new owner if he'd had the cam belt done yet and he was nah not yet.
So cam belt faliure or conrod snapping, which first?