BW 37, 38, 39, 40

Cheers mate, I'm just going have to post the collection pics tomorrow as ultimately with the weather and me having a load of driving planned over the weekend it's not going to get cleaned and detailed for a short while.

Can't keep you guys waiting too long as it could well get spotted!

Reactions: Martinbanshee
T-minus 2:30mins till collection! Like a boy woke up early on Christmas morning waiting to go downstairs! Can't wait lol

Reactions: The Challinor
Uh oh

I won't say anything about your pink Audi

Last edited:
Well, true to form, i've hardly been back here since i took delivery! Sorry all!

Rolled over 1k miles yesterday so that's enough running in for me! Normal service has now been resumed! :racer:

Here's are the highlights of my first impressions:

- Hold Assist:

· Varying pressure on the brake pedal to apply brakes/engage Stop/Start - mastered!

- B&O:

· Setup sorted - very happy with that.

- Tech Pack - Connect:

· PAYG 3Gb sim card installed - no dramas, signal coverage has been pretty good. Most of the M6/M5 corridor between Manchester and Taunton is well serviced.

· Not convinced the traffic data is particularly effective. Checking google before i set off on a journey has highlighted hotspots which aren't shown in the car and travel times are closer to those of a clear run? Anyone else found this?

· Send destinations from Google Maps (on IE8 not Chrome) to the car - check! However, when i then calculate a route using the address there is no arrival time displayed - hmm, further investigation required.

- S tronic:

· So happy to be back in an auto and now i've got used to the box, setting off is smooth.

· However, i've found reverse quite infuriating. When you're maneuvering in a tight area the time between stopping, shifting lever from reverse to drive (or vise versa) and the clutch actually re-engaging seems huge, the first few times i found the car rolling a lot further than i expected.

- Interior Lighting:

· To be honest, i think this is a huge disappointment after all the rave reviews on here! the cup holder rings are almost always obscured by the ashtray and a cup of coffee, the foot well lights are ok and the nicest bit is the front speakers (which are really part of the B&O).

· Compared to my old BMW E92 Coupe which came as standard with strip lighting along the door tops and rear door cards and much more effective and less harsh ambient lighting, it's definitely the poor relation!

- S Line Suspension:

· Yes, it is quite firm, but coming from a BMW 320d M Sport with 255/35/R19 runflats it's pretty plush for the most part!

· Couple of rutted roads in my regular commute make themselves known, but i'm not disappointed i chose it although i would prefer the car to sit a bit lower.

· Visually the arch gaps are still pretty big and i often think it looks a bit speedboat-ish (more to do with the profile of the front bumper).

- ACC:

· Works well in slow moving traffic when you’re trundling along but I’ve found it annoying on clearer motorways where you need to pull out to overtake in good time otherwise you start to slow but your speed is not much faster than other car so you feel exposed.

· Shame you can’t set the range to zero so it behaved like normal cruise if desired.

- Fuel Consumption:

Left the most contentious one 'til last. :lick:

· If i'm honest this has been lower than i hoped (and experienced on an extend demo in a Sport S tronic 1.4 COD)

· First two tanks have yielded 40.96 & 42.46 mpg based on calculating (miles/litres)/0.22) not the DIS which was about 2-3mpg higher.

· Given most of my journeys are 100+miles of motorway and limited urban driving i was hoping for high 40's.

· Based on the DIS i've not broken 50mpg for a journey and only manage high 40's if there are significant stretches of ave. speed road works or traffic which keeps speeds closer to 60.

· As soon as i push over 70 (and haven't broken 80 at all yet!) the average mpg falls pretty quick back down.

· Not sure what will happen now i'm getting back to driving as "normal" rather than running in mode!

Overall, i'm happy and looking forward to many happy miles to come!

Attachments

• AF64SHJ - 1k.jpg
    AF64SHJ - 1k.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: Bristle Hound, Martinbanshee and veeeight
Pretty poor MPG, are you running standard Unleaded?

I get low to mid 40s in my 1.8T!

Yep, always Shell Fuelsave Unleaded. Got a company fuel card i have to use, so no option for V Power, although according to Audi it's unnecessary.

When i spoke to the Audi salesman during a test drive i was told the same thing, but on further proding he suggested that using a higher RON value fuel like V Power would result in higher economy values. I don't own an S3 yet as its on order so can't test this.

S3's i would think are a bit different.

Any engine with a turbo will benefit, as far as I'm aware. But still I run my 1.8 on Super or better. My commute varies from 30mph in places to 60, stop and go for the best part of 30 miles each way. My lifetime average is a shade under 40mpg, but that includes some B-road blasting.

Uh oh. Another super vs not super 'discussion'. Not relevant to our glorious build week thread. For previous heated debate do a search :)

Reactions: Sandra
Anyway, didn't Challinor collect today? Where are the pics?!

Got mine today! Wow looks better in the flesh then the photos! Feels so luxurious in the cabin! And the 1.4tfsi COD has quite a big punch! Has got that throw you back in your seat feel when the turbo kicks in, and is very responsive! I'll try and get some photos of it once I detail it over the weekend, too busy driving it at the moment!

Nice write up CaesarBob! Can't wait to try it out myself when I get the car!!!

Noticed in your signature you have put 1.4tfsi 'Ultra'!! Is that displayed on the car? Never knew it was known as an Ultra.

Nice clour choice by the way also. How is the Scuba Blue in the flesh??

Thanks

Did i read right, we have cars collected today and no pics yet, need this sorted guys, its the rules, lol. :) x

Reactions: The Challinor, Martinbanshee, pauly69 and 2 others
Mine still at Emden apparently...........
Must take Audi longer to finish off a RS.........

Was expecting 3rd November, so still on target.

Last year my BW 40 car was at the dealers on 22nd October.

Reactions: Sandra
Nice write up CaesarBob! Can't wait to try it out myself when I get the car!!!

Noticed in your signature you have put 1.4tfsi 'Ultra'!! Is that displayed on the car? Never knew it was known as an Ultra.

Nice clour choice by the way also. How is the Scuba Blue in the flesh??

Thanks
Yes, the TFSI badge has Ultra below it and a Google search shows it to be official on Audi.com, but not co.uk.

Really pleased with colour too, got good level of 'pop' in bright sun and turns a bit purpley. Trouble is, it don't stay clean for long with this weather!

Reactions: Reggieboy71
See you got the dome for ACC you were hoping for then :)

@The Challinor are we getting some pics today? Lol, this is like a kid waiting for christmas in here. I cant wait to see the car and the colour. :) x

Looking nice Chall's :cool::cool::cool:

I reckon its a light colour, something like riviera blue or a light orange ... :cower::hi:

Deary me, talk about trying to grab attention.
It's expensive paint on a S3 for crying out loud.