SQ5 Buying advise/things to look for in 2017 SQ5

Sorrybmw

Reaction score
Hi All,

New UK member, clearly - i'm hopefully trading in my MPerf 330d Touring for a 2017 SQ5 this week and wondered whether there were any things to look for or to check before taking delivery from my local Audi dealer? I've been stung before when picking up a car and had the 'Oh well you should of flagged that before collection i'm afraid'.

In terms of spec, it has the following;

• Comfort and Sound Package
  • 21" twin spoke alloys
  • Panoramic Sunroof
  • Light and Vision pack
  • Folding Mirrors
  • Extended flat bottom wheel
Any hints, advise or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hi All,

New UK member, clearly - i'm hopefully trading in my MPerf 330d Touring for a 2017 SQ5 this week and wondered whether there were any things to look for or to check before taking delivery from my local Audi dealer? I've been stung before when picking up a car and had the 'Oh well you should of flagged that before collection i'm afraid'.

In terms of spec, it has the following;

• Comfort and Sound Package
  • 21" twin spoke alloys
  • Panoramic Sunroof
  • Light and Vision pack
  • Folding Mirrors
  • Extended flat bottom wheel
Any hints, advise or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Do check for panoroof noise/creaks/rattle and then make sure the panoroof has hasd the latest service.

A great machine is the SQ5...

Do check for panoroof noise/creaks/rattle and then make sure the panoroof has hasd the latest service.

A great machine is the SQ5...

Thanks for the heads up!

Looking forward to driving it properly, coming from an inline 6 to a V6 should be interesting and the exhaust note is sublime i personally think. Read alot of reviews saying it's a bit sedate but i'm not a fan of the apparent fetish that car manufacturers have of 80db exhausts popping and banging like an active warzone every 5 seconds.

Not sure i would of specced the 21" alloys myself had i bought from new but nevertheless - they look impressive.

Thanks for the heads up!

"Read alot of reviews saying it's a bit sedate"

Yea, right!
6349.gif

SQ5 Tash brakes

And the 21" rims are OK, even in pot-holed drop-grid Staffordshire, and it's so darn chuckable
:racer:

I've a 2017 Q5/SQ5 Sales Guide if you need

Yours looks gorgeous! Love Sepang blue!

Good to know about the rims - here in the Cotswolds/Cirencester area the roads are shot to **** too and every pothole in my BMW feels like the suspension has collapsed.

In the 2 years of ownership i've had to replace 3 tyres due to side wall bulges and of course, they were always nearly-new tyres and i don't like changing one side without the other due to imbalances in the tracking etc. The added treat was the 'Runflat tax' that gets added to those tyres.

Super excited to collect Friday and join the club!

The SQ5 sales guide would be interesting to read through!

Yours looks gorgeous! Love Sepang blue!

Good to know about the rims - here in the Cotswolds/Cirencester area the roads are shot to **** too and every pothole in my BMW feels like the suspension has collapsed.

In the 2 years of ownership i've had to replace 3 tyres due to side wall bulges and of course, they were always nearly-new tyres and i don't like changing one side without the other due to imbalances in the tracking etc. The added treat was the 'Runflat tax' that gets added to those tyres.

Super excited to collect Friday and join the club!

The SQ5 sales guide would be interesting to read through!

PM me with your email address and I'll send...

See: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-and-counting-down-to-a-place-near-me.386559/

Last edited:
I had a 2017 SQ5 from new, Sept 17. Traded at 2 years and 22k miles, just because I could and a good deal came up. I loved it, really good refined car, nicely specced (pretty much same options as yours), ride occasionally a bit lumpy on the 21s but normally good. I had zero issues in the two years except a number of recalls - but they were picked up at it’s one and only service, can’t recall what but just ask if all have been done. Could get 30+ on a run, not so good on short cold journeys!

It really had to be very special to encourage me to change - it was...

Reactions: 45bvtc
Thanks for the advise - picked her up on Friday and what an absolute dream to look at and drive. I’ve always loved my cars and I haven’t had this much fun since my mk7 Golf R. This blows that car out the water though!

This one has 24k on it - you don’t happen to be in the Wiltshire area? Would be a coincident if this was your old one!

Any tips or tricks i should know? I’ve sorted the MyAudi app out which is pretty neat and far better than BMW ConnectedDrive

B1037E12 52E4 4A15 AD75 F922CB8BD2F1

Thanks for the advise - picked her up on Friday and what an absolute dream to look at and drive. I’ve always loved my cars and I haven’t had this much fun since my mk7 Golf R. This blows that car out the water though!

This one has 24k on it - you don’t happen to be in the Wiltshire area? Would be a coincident if this was your old one!

Any tips or tricks i should know? I’ve sorted the MyAudi app out which is pretty neat and far better than BMW ConnectedDrive

View attachment 197126

Stunning. But not mine, sold mine in August to west London Audi....

I never used the myaudi app, used it on a previous A6 and wasn’t that bothered...

Tips and tricks? Drive it and enjoy.... how are the tyres? I was getting ready for 4 new ones at 22k, mine were Pirelli, not bad and had decent rim protector! Otherwise was great to own, son in law has just had a GLC 43 (new facelift) which is lovely but a bling and loud for me...

But don’t knock BMW - I may have defected that way this time with a nice 5 series (600hp nice..)

Attachments

• 0AD95C6E-78F4-49C5-B825-C9EB6D0B8C42.jpeg
    0AD95C6E-78F4-49C5-B825-C9EB6D0B8C42.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 134
Ah okay!

Oh, the BMW cars themselves I think are a feat of engineering. Perfectly balanced and takes milliseconds to respond when you plant your foot. The only thing I’m struggling to get to grips with is the slight turbo lag from the SQ5 whereas my beemer would rocket off the moment you brushed the accelerator!

The use case for mine had just expired and with a newborn, getting the car seat in and out a car that low was a nightmare and living in the cotswolds meant I had to replace too many tyres due to pothole damage :(

Switched to an M5?

Ah okay!

Oh, the BMW cars themselves I think are a feat of engineering. Perfectly balanced and takes milliseconds to respond when you plant your foot. The only thing I’m struggling to get to grips with is the slight turbo lag from the SQ5 whereas my beemer would rocket off the moment you brushed the accelerator!

The use case for mine had just expired and with a newborn, getting the car seat in and out a car that low was a nightmare and living in the cotswolds meant I had to replace too many tyres due to pothole damage :(

Switched to an M5?

Perfectly made car for those duties, practical and fun. And a sense of theatre withthe enginethat you can’t get from a diesel. Agree with the slight lag on take off, sport mode on gearbox usually sorts that....

My kids are 27 and 26, and whilst I occasionally take my grandkids, I borrow my daughters car then! I chose the SQ5 as my dog goes with me often - but decided this time I could take her in the footwell in the front, she is 8 now so doubt she will be able to jump into the boot of a 4x4 in a couple of years. Well that was my justification for getting a saloon - and they only do the M5 as a saloon.... you can’t get the same deals on an RS6 sothat wasn’t an option...