Buying 3.0 tdi Quattro advice

Mindak

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys after a couple of years away from the Audi scene I’m thinking of a return!

This is my old A3
6225def1fcce26c2869c1fd56fff1e28.jpg

But always fancied a caddy so what I’m currently in
e0838b4b0d28988c4129f19259a27d80.jpg

Iv now got a kid on the way So will need something more family friendly.

I know someone who may be selling a nice 2007 A4 Avant 3.0 tdi Quattro soon so wondered if they are any good!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn’t recommend one enough mate!

I’ve got a 56reg 2007 sline

My big decision was going for a manual or the auto, I’ve got the auto and haven’t regretted it moving from manual cars all my life, loads of torque and smooth. Really easy to launch consistently ( if that’s what your into haha)

Still manage to get easy over 45mpg on the motorway but of course that depends on how you drive. Took mine to Germany and around the ring and couldn’t of wanted a better car for the trip had a indicated 150ish on the autobahn too

They take a lot of oil and coolant so regular servicing is a little more expensive than other cars but I can live with that.

I couldn’t recommend one enough mate!

I’ve got a 56reg 2007 sline

My big decision was going for a manual or the auto, I’ve got the auto and haven’t regretted it moving from manual cars all my life, loads of torque and smooth. Really easy to launch consistently ( if that’s what your into haha)

Still manage to get easy over 45mpg on the motorway but of course that depends on how you drive. Took mine to Germany and around the ring and couldn’t of wanted a better car for the trip had a indicated 150ish on the autobahn too

They take a lot of oil and coolant so regular servicing is a little more expensive than other cars but I can live with that.

Yea this ones an auto too which is the only thing I wouldn’t usually go for but drive my mates auto s3 last week and loved it!
Apparently this one has around 155k on but he looks after his motors very well.. and it’s an s-line so has all the extras

I spent ages looking for a nice 3.0Tdi auto.
I struggled to find one that wasn't rusting badly over the rear axle area.
2007 has the advantage of being pre DPF, if you think thatst an advantage.
I haven't had it long but so far I'm averaging 30mpg on mostly rural & short haul.
I absolutely love it, it's a fantastic drive.
But there are cheaper set ups to run.

I believe that DPF was an option from 2005, because I have a 2005 with a DPF

But yeah, great car, I love it, good balance between power and economy and comfort. And looks great

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

You may well be right re. B7 DPF's
But the 4 I looked at were all without.
Check for 7GN option code & turned down tailpipes.

Love my 3.0tdi quattro auto .
I've got a 2006 233bhp with dpf.
Go's really well, surprises alot of other car's, ok on fuel, 30 urban 45 on motorway.
Mines on 143k now bought it just over a year ago on 137k.
Just need to sort my other issues lol but it was a cheap car.

Just make sure there's no timing chain rattle on start up, lasts for 2-3 seconds, if it has walk away, don't believe anyone who tells you it's hasn't got a cam belt so you never need worry because it's chain driven, yes it is but when they are on long life service schedules the tensioners can fail, they are under pressure by the engine oil & when the oil degrades you get loss of oil pressure on start up & chain rattle, there's four chains & five tensioners, cost to fix ! between £2500 - £3000, ask me how i know.
Having said all that still a great car.

Mine is a Avant with turned down pipes and has no dpf from the factory, I have the 7GN code In my options list that says “prepared for factory dpf” or something similar to that anyway haha.

+1 on listening for chain rattle, it’s expensive to replace them.....
dc110c239b3b2e87b3161ef463a4e9d8.jpg

Also take it for a test drive and check it shifts ok and doesn’t have any hoots from the torque converter. A gearbox rebuild is another common, expensive problem.

If buying one with Nav, check the unit reads the DVD and the maps properly, again another common problem.

Isn't there a difference in power.
Dpf models have 233bhp
Non dpf 201 or 215bhp?

Isn't there a difference in power.
Dpf models have 233bhp
Non dpf 201 or 215bhp?

Yes their are two power versions, 04/05 201bhp 06/07 are 230bhp, dpf was a option on all engine models, so only way to know if you have a dpf is either a visual check under the car or look for the option code 7GN in your owners manual.

Reactions: Sibmets
Yes their are two power versions, 04/05 201bhp 06/07 are 230bhp, dpf was a option on all engine models, so only way to know if you have a dpf is either a visual check under the car or look for the option code 7GN in your owners manual.

7GN isn’t reliable. I have it but most certainly don’t have a DPF

7GN isn’t reliable. I have it but most certainly don’t have a DPF

Not sure if you misunderstood me, that code means you don’t have a dpf fitted but your car has everything else necessary to add one at a later date.

+1
7GN = DPF prepared but not fitted.
Does anyone have a(n) Avant with DPF?

Yes. 2006 06 3.0 tdi auto quattro .

If your not sure just call Audi customer services with car details and they can confirm.

I called Audi customer care about this when I was looking at cars.
They didn't understand what I was on about and just wanted my details to put on their used car customer list.