Broken Lug Nut Key

alexmarin

Reaction score
Hi all.

Been member for a little while as I just bought an A3 1.9 TDI 2006 just a little over a month ago.

Yesterday I was trying to paint my callipers, and trying to get the second wheel open when the lock wheel nut key shattered.

Does anybody know how much it will cost to take it to an Audi rep to get them opened with a master key?

Or otherwise some other specifics?

Much appreciated.

TBH if the bolt is that tight then it may present an issue, usually 120 is the torque, is the bolt head ok or is that deformed now.

probably too expensive...

Your better off hammering a socket on the nut if possible or get AA out, if you have their cover

The bolt seems fine, it's just the actual key that got broken.

Not sure but the guys at the service might have had to take it off and put it back on less than a month ago when I took it for the MOT.

shadow: Don't have AA. My dad lost his for the CLS and a friend managed to get a master key from someone. He was only charged £25. Hopefully I'll get this lucky..

Reactions: shadow1993
If it is an Audi locking wheel set they can order replacements.

I was just looking on eBay. Question is, it's NOT supposed to be taken out so easily, so how do I get the right one? :)

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to these things. Sorry.

If its an Audi locking wheel set they should have the serial number on their database to order you the right unlocking nut.

If its audi just get the letter off the wheel but key and order one job sorted think it was about £25 on tps account

I had same problem on my nans merc yesterday the service place have a massive set of locking keys so the parts guy just got that found the matching one and ordered it 37 pound lighter but cheaper than a new wheels once its been destroyed getting the old nut of

The Letter for your key is on top of the nut part... Recently bought a new 1 from Audi at £50, just for the key to chew again... Ended up having to get the bolt welded out.. Since then, i've done away with the locking wheel nuts... Pretty pointless in my opinion unless you live in a shady area!

Thanks everyone for your inputs. The guy that sorted my dad's CLS a while ago said that he will need to ask his friend from Audi to get the master key set. For this I'll have to leave my car with him for the day, and I set that to be on Mon. He'll sort it out for £25-£30 and then yeah, pretty pointless to put any locking wheel nuts back on.

Hopefully I'll get it sorted, otherwise I'll check for the number and will try to order a key from TPS or anywhere else..

In the meantime I'll have to roll on a 1 red calliper while the other 3 are still rusty.