Brakes

kennymeechan

Reaction score
In the near future I will be replacing all 4 callipers, discs and pads.

The rear are sticking a good bit, I loosened the handbrake and it's helped a hell of a lot.

Question is do I just stick with OE spec ones or is there better for the same kinda money?

Sadly you get what you pay for the exception being the discs. A3/S3 calipers/brakes in their standard form aren't renowned for being great, but tbh most normal cars' brakes are made of cheese anyway. If it's a bit more bite, hence a little bit more all round performance you are after then just upgrade the pads on the front to something like Mintex M1144 and put standard OE pads on the rear.

Hope this helps.

I changed my front to s3 312mm brakes also braided brake lines and 5.1 race fluid made loads of difference and feels so great can push the car harder without worrying now!

Im due to change my brakes too.......at the moment i have drilled and grooved discs with mintex m1144 pads..........discs are now warped.
Gonna go back to standard, vented discs but stick with the pads.

Disc upgrade benefit is subjective at best and mainly for show / weight (grooved/drilled) etc...

Ferrodo ds2500 pads are what you need on the standard set ups as they are vastly superior. They aren't cheap though.

I would also only really focus on the front if the budgets are tight.

I also only really noticed the benefit of ate racing blue braking fluid and the stainless steel braking hoses after I uprated to the LCR brembos, so again, tangible benefit at this stage on the standard configuration.

Focus on the pads.

Whenever i have upgraded tje brakes ive always gone the whole hog and done calipers etc. are the ds2500 really that good with standard calipers. i know its massively documented but can they really work so well??

Whenever i have upgraded tje brakes ive always gone the whole hog and done calipers etc. are the ds2500 really that good with standard calipers. i know its massively documented but can they really work so well??

In a word "YES" DS2500's do make a appreciable difference, as many have said dont worry about the rears focus on the fronts.

Well the rear callipers do need changed, unless I can get them freed up.

The braking is far from great on the car but then I did have a focus st with 6 pots on the front. That was running 300 bhp. I'm not looking for the same power but around the 200-220 when I'm done.

What I really mean is with takin the cost of new OE spec callipers,discs and pads can I get much better second hand for the same kinda price. I guess the standard cost would be around 450-500 fitted??