Brake hose pliers - yay or nay?

vanilla_ice

Reaction score
Hi,

I think my S3 has a sticky rear caliper so considering a DIY replacement of both.

Can hose pliers be used on the short flexi's on the rear? Any recommendations?

Also, are TRW calipers reputable?

Many thanks.

not a fan of hose calipers... I use a little silicon cap thingy sized to fit or some thing like these

Edit... due to forum software attempting to be clever I cannot paste a direct link to the amazon product so here is the short code...

B00DTEM1VA

paste this into the search box... or search for Sealey VS0556 Fuel/Brake Pipe

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Thanks @<tuffty/>

Sorry to be a pain...

Is that "not a fan of those calipers" as in TRW, or "not a fan of hose pliers"?

Also, the Amazon link isn't working for me.
hose pliers is what I was on about... not a fan as they need a lot of force on a braided hose to even clamp and tends to damage them...

I have updated the post with the short code as the forum software is trying to be clever in converting it to a media link and failing miserably (despite me using actual code)

<tuffty/>

So you clamp the banjo(?) On the end of the hose rather than the hose itself?

Any recommendations for replacement rear calipers? Or much of a muchness?

Many thanks.

Yeah, essentially caps off the end of the hose preventing seepage :)

Not got around to swapping my calipers personally but I do have to at some point so don't have any recommendations but TRW calipers are decent from what I know of them...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: vanilla_ice
Update.

So I have new rear calipers to fit and the Sealey hose clamps @<tuffty/> recommended.

I'm now unsure about the bleeding process. I'm not looking to bleed the whole system and I am trying to avoid bleeding the MC or investing in a pressure bleeder, if I can help it.

I was hoping to use this one-man bleed kit

Can I slightly 'overfill' the MC reservoir (to avoid bleeding the MC dry) and then gently pump the brake pedal to bleed the new calipers, topping up the reservoir as I go?

Would syringing fluid in to the new calipers before attaching the brake line reduce the amount of bleeding required?

Once bled, syringe out excess fluid from reservoir and jobs a gooden?

Thanks.

use a vacuum bleeder

i always bleed, left rear, right rear, left front, right front, i always start with the wheel that's the furthest from the reservoir and after bleeding all the wheels i also bleed the 2 bleed nipple screws on the master cylinder, Pedal is normally solid every single time no squishiness