Bought a first S3 yesterday second BAM tho

Hi ,

Guys update got my logs unfortunately I can't upload them here can I send them to someone's email perhaps

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

There are a few free file sharing servers, you probably want to try and sign up to one as if you have one to be looked at you're likely to need a load of them. And you don't necessarily limit yourself to one persons opinion.

Cool so the process is working but you need to pick the sensors you want to log, all it has logged is your direction etc from the GPS in your phone.

Upload 2018 4 3 21 28 47

Start Android Torque

Choose
Settings->Data Logging->Select what to log

then pick some test PIDs to make sure it works and you can test how and when it starts logging the data.

example PIDs are things like AFR, AIT, RPM, MAF, Engine Load, Throttle Position, Timing Advance, Turbo Boost and just for a laugh (Horsepower and Torque after you have set up your vehicle profile)

I am just a beginner but know that this is the type of information invaluable to try and diagnose faults. :)

The advised thing is to drive in 3rd gear to the red line (or whatever I never do, as even when you think you have it is usually a bit less) people say with your foot flat.

As a reminder, please dont operate your phone whilst driving ;)

Reactions: RS4B5
Cool so the process is working but you need to pick the sensors you want to log, all it has logged is your direction etc from the GPS in your phone.

View attachment 152347

Start Android Torque

Choose
Settings->Data Logging->Select what to log

then pick some test PIDs to make sure it works and you can test how and when it starts logging the data.

example PIDs are things like AFR, AIT, RPM, MAF, Engine Load, Throttle Position, Timing Advance, Turbo Boost and just for a laugh (Horsepower and Torque after you have set up your vehicle profile)

I am just a beginner but know that this is the type of information invaluable to try and diagnose faults. :)

The advised thing is to drive in 3rd gear to the red line (or whatever I never do, as even when you think you have it is usually a bit less) people say with your foot flat.

As a reminder, please dont operate your phone whilst driving ;)
Okay I have added some PID's couldn't find all of them.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=20247442029905217032

See if this is any good for some reason I thin it could be coilpacks.

Thanks

that file is empty - it looks like a profile of the logging data rather than the contents.

Upload 2018 4 3 22 22 33

have you managed to see any EML light flashing during your tests? (< a flashing EML light is a hard fault usually a misfire either coil pack or spark plug or occasionally the wiring)

also you can scan for faults with it?

when adding the PIDs if you do it with the engine running the working sensors are green to help pick the correct ones

I actually also have the free lite version on, as it is much quicker at returning faults.

that file is empty - it looks like a profile of the logging data rather than the contents.

View attachment 152354

have you managed to see any EML light flashing during your tests? (< a flashing EML light is a hard fault usually a misfire either coil pack or spark plug or occasionally the wiring)

also you can scan for faults with it?

when adding the PIDs if you do it with the engine running the working sensors are green to help pick the correct ones

I actually also have the free lite version on, as it is much quicker at returning faults.
Try this one perhaps

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=92016383306883556883

Thanks

Hi
you need to spend a little bit of time finding the sensors you want to actually read, only about 10% of the ones you have picked have any data ad the more sensors you pick the less accurate the results are. also look at the units you are set to eg use Centigrade and PSI and like I said the vehicle profile needs to be set up for the torque, bhp and kw power to work properly. you need to put in the weight and type of car (weight is supposed to include fluids and driver)

although you do have an AFR of 11 which is pretty rich for 166 g/s MAF @ 5400rpm - is this supposed to be stock MAP - if that was the case it would be floating around 14 down to ~13.5 under power and going up to ~29 when engine braking? (doesn't this happen if the EGT sensor is shot?) I think the "Exhaust Gas Temperature" is one of the things which can be logged? I recall someone saying it was always reading 1000 degree centigrade.

as an example my AFR (LAMDA) on my recent log goes down to 0.89 at 6000 rpm for 16psi boost and 200g/s maf

Upload 2018 4 3 22 59 2

0.89 is 13 you are 11 which is 0.75 ( that might be protection mode - are you only averaging about 20 mpg ?)

Upload 2018 4 3 23 1 7

here you can see my map has a desired lambda of 0.90 for 6000 rpm on full load.

Upload 2018 4 3 23 9 0

Last edited:
Hi
you need to spend a little bit of time finding the sensors you want to actually read, only about 10% of the ones you have picked have any data ad the more sensors you pick the less accurate the results are. also look at the units you are set to eg use Centigrade and PSI and like I said the vehicle profile needs to be set up for the torque, bhp and kw power to work properly. you need to put in the weight and type of car (weight is supposed to include fluids and driver)

although you do have an AFR of 11 which is pretty rich for 166 g/s MAF @ 5400rpm - is this supposed to be stock MAP - if that was the case it would be floating around 14 down to ~13.5 under power and going up to ~29 when engine braking? (doesn't this happen if the EGT sensor is shot?) I think the "Exhaust Gas Temperature" is one of the things which can be logged? I recall someone saying it was always reading 1000 degree centigrade.

as an example my AFR (LAMDA) on my recent log goes down to 0.89 at 6000 rpm for 16psi boost and 200g/s maf

View attachment 152355

0.89 is 13 you are 11 which is 0.75 ( that might be protection mode - are you only averaging about 20 mpg ?)

View attachment 152356

here you can see my map has a desired lambda of 0.90 for 6000 rpm on full load.

View attachment 152357
Morning,

Right this sounds like I need to redoit again.

So when I connect again I will choose the green fields only. Could you please specify what PDI's are necessary to track the problem.

Thanks for your help guys

Especially you Stuart as you seem to be very involved an helpful.

Morning,

So try picking these below ( you may need to sort out the EGT sensor as I'm not sure which one is used)

Forget about the bhp etc for the moment that's not really required)

Get your car warm find a quiet bit of straight flat road and drive up to 3rd gear ~20mph then floor it to as high rpm as you can in 3rd ~65mph then allow to a stop, and stop logging. And edit the CSV file to keep the headers and find you 3rd gear pull from 2000->6500 and cut the log lines before 2000 and a bit after the maximum rpm.

Make sure units are degree centigrade.

As I said in a total beginner with all this but know how to compare files to look for anomolies.

Android torque should remember your selected PIDs. And there are various settings for log rotation etc.

Also scan for faults using the device, it only checks the ECU for faults so cannot return them all. And maybe try downloading the free "lite" version and scan for "pending faults"

Screenshot 20180404 080708

I am at work this morning so will get back to you if I can help

Remember not to use your phone whilst driving, it's terribly dangerous for you, other road users and pedestrians.

Last edited:
Hi

Did you buy the car from a dealer or privately?

No offense but didn't you test drive the car, if so how did this boosting issue start to happen, mate?

Cheers

Reactions: Black
Hi

Did you buy the car from a dealer or privately?

No offense but didn't you test drive the car, if so how did this boosting issue start to happen, mate?

Cheers
Hi,

I have but before it wasn't as bad seem to become worse. Thanks for your help tho

Reactions: Fanboy
Hi,

I have but before it wasn't as bad seem to become worse. Thanks for your help tho

Nope, I know I'm not helpful :(

Usually, I test drive a car twice, once first time around when I want to leave a deposit and once upon collection and I usually come across a number of things I didn't realise first time around... not your fault really as it could happen to anyone!

To be fair I'm also looking for a clean good condition S3 8L with less 80-90k mileage and less than 4k~4.5k but no luck yet...

Hope it gets sorted mate :)

Cheers

Please try the other "Exhaust Gas Temperature" sensors there are 8 and only one will be used by the ECU. eg Bank 1 Sensor 1 B1S2 B1S3 B1S4 B2S1 ....

it should be the one with a green back ground.

Also Add Throttle Position and MAF and change the timing it is only every 1 second.

Upload 2018 4 4 20 1 58

you need to look at FILE LOGGING INTERVAL - try it at 0.3 or even 0.2 seconds that is 200 milliseconds (5 times a second) ME7Logger can managed 20 milliseconds that is 50 times a second.

you can see again the AFR is 11.02 that is 0.75 Lambda

Incidentally, if AFR (Commanded) is returned can you try and include that, as that should be the MAP's "Desired Lamfa"

here's an example log when I was working out how to use Android on my S3 last year. you can see that at the maximum boost in the log my AFR was only 12.88 whereas yours is 11.02

Upload 2018 4 4 20 35 53

also the turbo boost includes ambient so my 2.2 bar is actually 1.2 bar which is 17.5 so you dont seem to have much boost on your log?

18.8 psi is the maximum figure I have seen - once the ambient pressure is removed you are only boosting to about 4 or 5psi is the N75 plugged in, although if the EGT Sensor believes you are too hot, then it may be setting the Lamfa to 0.75 (11AFR) and dropping the maximum charge pressure to actuator pressure at the same time?

Upload 2018 4 4 20 42 24

I am getting out of my depth here :D :D

Okay so screen shot your current sensors.

you need to add
1. Mass Air Flow
2. Throttle Position Manifold
3. Exhaust Gas Temperature (You added Bank 1 Sensor 1 already but it contains no data (or the sensor is returning no data?) choose the green one if there is one?

The point I am trying to make is AFR of 11 is behaving like a "protection mode" it has so much fuel to air.

if no EGT sensors are green try picking them all just in case it only returns values under certain circumstances.

Also have you used the device to scan for faults yet?

wouldn't it be crazy if someone bought a replacement turbo without the EGT sensor hole? by the way someone on the TT forum found their EGT sensor had fallen out of their K04 Turbo.

Would imagine the EGT sensor is goosed based on that... that will fuel at 0.75 lambda irrespective of requested AFR

A scan with VCDS is needed to confirm

<tuffty/>

Okay so screen shot your current sensors.

you need to add
1. Mass Air Flow
2. Throttle Position Manifold
3. Exhaust Gas Temperature (You added Bank 1 Sensor 1 already but it contains no data (or the sensor is returning no data?) choose the green one if there is one?

The point I am trying to make is AFR of 11 is behaving like a "protection mode" it has so much fuel to air.

if no EGT sensors are green try picking them all just in case it only returns values under certain circumstances.

Also have you used the device to scan for faults yet?

wouldn't it be crazy if someone bought a replacement turbo without the EGT sensor hole? by the way someone on the TT forum found their EGT sensor had fallen out of their K04 Turbo.

Okay then I have added them and I'm going for a drive none of them are showing green btw. Wish me luck thanks.

Pat.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=06812110440134822319

Hopefully this is the one

If it's the EGT sensor what's the part number and how hard is it to fit?

Thanks

Pat

Part number is on the sensor... the base PN is 06A919529 it will have a letter on the end which changes depending on version

Sensor black box is fitted under the inlet manifold (2 x 5mm allen cap bolts)... probe itself goes from this round the end of the engine to the turbo hotside...

New they are 160-200 quid

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tuffty, I am well out of my depth here for the science bit :D

But... dont buy an EGT Sensor before you confirm whether it is faulty - they are pretty expensive!

These are your two "money shots" - you can see no EGT readings according to Android Pro and the signs of protection AFR at 11

Upload 2018 4 4 21 53 28

I would buy a £5 KKL lead and download VCDS Lite for free to scan for real VAG faults, then check to make sure the EGT sensor

1. exists (I dont thing they were not fitted on all the K04 turbos)?
2. is in the turbo
3. is plugged in
4. the wires are not broken

I thought when an EGT sensor was kaput it returned "1" as resistance which = ~1100 degree centigrade

btw you can use a KKL lead with Me7Logger although I think Me7Logger is pretty random on an S3 (mine never worked)

but you can buy K04-22 turbos on ebay - what if the previous owner didn't get the right turbo? (I'm not suggesting the turbo has been changed but the OP doesn't know the history of the car?)

Thanks guys been writing an essay but app is constantly crashing. So in the photo I have attached what happened.

Thanks
37d6498511b4ad34d404bc7a95c1d740.jpg

Reactions: Stuart B, <tuffty/> and superkarl
Probably be a good idea to change the oil dude... running that rich for an unknown amount of time could have bore washed the engine... almost certainly be fuel in the oil...

<tuffty/>

Probably be a good idea to change the oil dude... running that rich for an unknown amount of time could have bore washed the engine... almost certainly be fuel in the oil...

<tuffty/>
Sounds like I need to, I'm gonna get it done with the intercooler pipe. Thanks again tuffty and Stuart B for all your help and expertise. Much appreciated again.

Thanks

Lol I'm a beginner too mate, well done for persevering, before any damage was done.