Boost issues

Bennys3

Reaction score
Right driving car earlier engine management light came on got a code reader and it said bank 1 running lean so cleared the code drove about for 10-15 miles never came back on so alls fine there hopefully :) but I did have an unusual thing happen got too the end of my street and car came on boost and dumped a lot of boost and held back and stuttered? It has a forge recirc valve on it but I've never been impressed with it since I fitted it so thinking I might go back too standard 1! Anyone else have any idea what could have happened

Check for boost/vac leaks. Favourite place is the vac pipe/breather pipes under the inlet manifold.

Thanks mate will check them in the morning!

Bank 1 lean code means you have a big air leak dude... don't ignore it... the ECU can compensate up to 25% for most small leaks but you will get that code if it hits 25%... this means its adding fuel to compensate for the extra air from the leak... if its big enough you will be losing power and boost as well as running the risk of the engine going too lean

Block 032 will give you the state of fuel trims... long term trim should be +/- 5-10% tops under normal conditions but yours will start rising over time as its addative...

<tuffty/>

Found this

I'm going too hazard a guess to this is the problem under the inlet!

Yep.... that would do it :)

That lot is around 100 quid from a dealer... most people bin it all off as all its there for is emissions and recycling oil vapour etc (PCV) back into be burnt by the engine.. there is a thread in the FAQ sticky that details PCV deletes... its not as difficult as it sounds and gets rid of all the stuff that causes most of the air leak issues on these engines

<tuffty/>

Gonna go too a scrappies tomorrow and see if I can get a pipe off there too do just now

Good luck but tbh these plastic pipes are nearly always full of cracks and splits... its easy to remove the lot mate... no eed for a catch can etc either

As you will need to remove the inlet mani for best access all you need to do is remove all the plastic stuff, remove the V shaped pipe on the end of the mani too... connect the servo vacuum pipe directly to the outlet on the end, block off the larger centre outlet under the mani and block off the PCV valve thats in the rubber 'T' connected between the crank case breather pipe and the pipe that goes up to the cam cover breather pipe...

Job done...

<tuffty/>

That's all a bit over my head right now I'll let my mechanic friend see it and let him do the pcv delete haha! Thanks very much for the help tho much appreciated