Bonnet stuck, online guides don't help!

starnon

Reaction score
I have a 1.9 tdi b6 A4 and the bonnet won't open. I'm certain that the cable has popped out. Online guides recommend access from below with a bent bar, but with the tdi engine, there is no way a bar could get anywhere as the pulleys leave no space at the front of the engine bay.

Any ideas? The car was due its mot this week, but I think if I can't get this sorted, I'll get it lifted to the scrap yard.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ok managed to get it open. I had to yank the front grill off and get to the 3 10mm bolts holding the top bracket on, then the bonnet is free to lift up.

The bonnet problem seems to be that my bonnet cable is slipping out the housing after 3 or 4 pulls, making the bonnet stuck shut. I think this might be due to the very end bracket on the cable not being fully secured down as the end clip is broken. It doesn't seem available without buying a new cable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Did the cable stay let loose? You might trying cleaning, recrimping and if you can be sure it is in exactly right position solder it using rosin core solder.

It's a crap design. Make sure the bonnet cable runs correctly above headlight. I had the same issue and ended up putting a small cable tie round the clip and catch where it attaches to prevent it from releasing again