Blb oil pump questions

Alex dark

Reaction score
So like most people , stumbled across all the horrific stories of the balance shaft hex failure , and the tensioners wearing out.

Love the car and looking to keep it for a good 20k miles.

So considering doing some preemptive work;

* changing over to a gear driven setup isn't an option with the cost involved

* is it worth dropping the sump to check the state of the tensioner and hex ?

* should I be looking at putting a tensioner / chain kit on as a matter of course ?

* was thinking of using these guys for parts if necessary , any experience? http://www.audi-vw-engine-spares.com/oil pump problems.htm

Has anyone got any opinions or advice on the above ?

That Powermax balancer shaft new insert looks glued in rather than welded .

12.jpg

And £355 isn't cheap , KMB Parts Direct is £215 on an exchange basis and the insert is definitely welded .

kit10_main_img.png

Powermax puts the insert into liquid nitrogen then presses it in !

They also use an oe 77 mm whereas everyone else uses the updated oem 100 mm hardened hex key .

I'll only be replacing the balance shaft if there is any damage or slop in the interface anyway ....

What does everyone think about dropping the sump ? Worth the hassle ?

So , done some more research. Think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the sump pulled sooner rather than later. After talking to a garage across the road , they've advised putting a tensioner /chain etc to the engine regardless.

Also , saw this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/181918692375

Seems like a really reasonable price to get around all oil pump issues ?!

Messaged the seller ......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 154
Could really do with some advice about the above if anyone's got any!

What is it, an entire pump unit, or just an upgraded balance shaft

What is it, an entire pump unit, or just an upgraded balance shaft

The way I read it is that it is a full unit that has been converted to be gear driver rather than chain driven as well as a new larger hex key. I could be wrong though.

Scrap that above....it's had the larger Hex Key installed but it is a genuine gear driven unit.

vw-passat-oil-pump.jpg

And close to the end of the video it looks like they seem to have done away with the balancer shaft unit altogether and replaced it with a pump from an ALH I think he said.

As far as I understand it's the whole balance shaft assembly; so from between the drive from the engine to the oil pump, thus alleviating any future issues ?

I may look into one of these when the weather eventually becomes warmer again.

I would prefer the gear drive over the chain drive also.

After a couple of messages apparently no sump replacement needed for the gear upgrade in the eBay link which is win :)