BKD injector loom removal

Nathen

Reaction score
anyone know or have had experience removing and replacing the injector loom on A3 BKD, if it's a difficult job or not and how much for a brand new genuine audi vw loom. any info will be muchly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi, replacing the injector loom on a BKD is quite straightforward, remove engine cover, cam cover and unclip connectors and multiplug on loom. Be careful not to drop anything down cylinder head!!!! You can pick up used looms for £30-40. ( NOT ADVISED ) OR a new loom will cost around £100+ darkside developments sell new looms or main dealer of course.

Reactions: Marek196c
Hi, replacing the injector loom on a BKD is quite straightforward, remove engine cover, cam cover and unclip connectors and multiplug on loom. Be careful not to drop anything down cylinder head!!!! You can pick up used looms for £30-40. ( NOT ADVISED ) OR a new loom will cost around £100+ darkside developments sell new looms or main dealer of course.
thank you very much, I thought it was going to be a straight forward job tbf but wasn't 100%, I wasn't going to go second hand as it could come with the same problem, i was going to go genuine or do some research on the best aftermarket loom to buy, thanks again for the info.

New is definitely the best option. These looms go brittle over time and break down... I'm sure you have done your research.

Reactions: Nathen
I've done it on mine, mainly as a preventative measure given the age of the car.
It really isn't difficult ; as has already been said , the main thing is not to drop anything into the engine whilst doing it!
I found that a new Genuine replacement from a VW main dealer via eBay was actually cheaper than trying to source one from my local TPS branch , cost was circa £100 delivered a few months ago.
The guides will tell you that a special VW tool is needed once the loom is installed to tighten the outer plastic locking ring against the inner part of the loom assembly that is fed through the hole in the cylinder head but this really isn't the case, I used a screwdriver and a small hammer (gently) to rotate one against the other and lock everything into place.
A decent pair of long-nosed pliers will also prove to be very useful to remove and replace the electrical connections onto the injectors and glow-plugs, and you don't need to renew the cam-cover gasket either when doing the job.
It's a substantial rubber gasket which on mine was as good as new despite being 10 yrs old , so it was re-used.

I've done it on mine, mainly as a preventative measure given the age of the car.
It really isn't difficult ; as has already been said , the main thing is not to drop anything into the engine whilst doing it!
I found that a new Genuine replacement from a VW main dealer via eBay was actually cheaper than trying to source one from my local TPS branch , cost was circa £100 delivered a few months ago.
The guides will tell you that a special VW tool is needed once the loom is installed to tighten the outer plastic locking ring against the inner part of the loom assembly that is fed through the hole in the cylinder head but this really isn't the case, I used a screwdriver and a small hammer (gently) to rotate one against the other and lock everything into place.
A decent pair of long-nosed pliers will also prove to be very useful to remove and replace the electrical connections onto the injectors and glow-plugs, and you don't need to renew the cam-cover gasket either when doing the job.
It's a substantial rubber gasket which on mine was as good as new despite being 10 yrs old , so it was re-used.
ok mine seems to be faulty, sometimes the car will start sometimes it will struggle and other times it won't start at all and when it does start it feels very sluggish at times, ok I'm always extra careful when working on my car sometimes too careful haha, I'll have a read up on the job, Haynes manual n what not and have a look around for the cheapest price for a genuine part I think that's the best route to take tbh I don't want it to buy any old crao and it go again a few miles up the road, thanks for the reply.