Bilstien shocks, b6 or b8?

AvantAlexB7

Reaction score
Looking to purchase some replacement, upgrade shocks for my avant. Im pretty set on bilstiens but not sure weather to go for B6 or B8 sprint variants. The B8s seem like the sportier choice, but slightly concerned as they are shorter than stock and designed to be used with lowering springs (I only have lowering springs on the front of my car). The B6 are designed to be used on both stock and lowering springs but not as sporty as the b8s so im a little on the fence with which to go with.

Any recommendations are as always very welcome.

Alex

This is with B8's and H&R 45mm allround.
I think B8's are the better option Alex to be honest , just down to spring choice.
IMG 3333

• Love
Reactions: Fully
Mines sits similar to yours in the pic actually Rob so my springs must be a similar drop to yours.
IMG 20210423 211352 881

Do you think the b8s would be fine on stock rear springs rob?

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I can't see why not Alex, i've always taken the view that the fronts are more critical with damper length as the damper and spring are one unit and there is more happening on the fronts etc.

My only concern would be that you have standard s-line rear springs and uprated aftermarket lower front springs, so maybe a bit unmatched front to back , ride height looks fine though.
maybe give it a go and see.

if you go with B8's you won't be disappointed, they are excellent, I'm only changing my setup as I want a more user-orientated setup front to rear.

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper
if you can stretch to new rear springs it would be beneficial Alex.

I did think that the front end would be more critical as you say, so im not worried about the front end as such. The rear springs are less than 6 months old actually, one broke earlier in the year so swapped the pair with 2 new sachs ones as i was happy with the ride height. Maybe ill give it a try and see how it goes.

indeed, nothing lost Alex.
Audi rear springs are just notorious for breaking for some reason.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
my offside rear snapped at 32k miles, car was under audi warranty so all covered but still rubbish quality .

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
b8 are better suited to lower spring by design then.

The B6 and B8 are the same damper, just the B8 is shorter, neither is 'sportier' than the other.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Thanks for that bit of info Damian. The Bilstien website seemed a little vague with the descriptions, i had just read the B8s were shorter, better suited to lowering springs. That being said I think ill go down the B8 route then and get some ordered.

Thanks for the info and advise fellas :icon thumright: