1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben's A4 B7 project - lowered, ICE'd daily smoker

Partyvan Nov 28, 2015

1. Partyvan

Partyvan New Member

Hi guys

I'm Ben, I'm 31 and from Nottingham. I do a lot of track days and Nurburgring trips, but this is my new daily

2005 Audi A4 avant 2.0 TDi (BLB engine)
    [​IMG]

Plans are to lower it, ICE it and see if I can get mega miles out of it!

It's the 2.0 16v BLB diesel engine. Which has two awful design flaws. Firstly a separate chain with a flimsy tensioner, driving the oil pump. Secondly said oil pump has an input shaft which is a 6mm hex bar. This rounds off inside the pump!

Both of which can be overcome by fitting a later oil pump (here's mine) which is all gear driven and has a solid hex shaft with deeper engagement
    [​IMG]

Mine's just had this upgrade along with a new timing belt and water pump, so *should* be pretty future proof.

Gonna pamper it with servicing and see if I can make it last!

Next jobs on this:
    - MOT
    - Swap wheels
    - ICE install
    - Lowering

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Gazwould

Gazwould Well-Known Member

How much was the geared oil pump assembly unit ?

4. Partyvan

Partyvan New Member

£625 from KMB direct (on your recommendation)

5. Gazwould

Good man .

New , used or used but remanufactured to KMB balancer shaft chrome vanadium keyway insert ?

6. Partyvan

Partyvan New Member

KMB remanufactured I believe! It's the one in the actual pic that's now fitted

7. Gazwould

That's bullet proof then , shame people have to shell out good money to fix VAG engineering design faults .

Partyvan likes this.
  8. Partyvan

Partyvan New Member

Passed it's MOT the other day with only a bulb and EML as advisories. Mods coming soon :)

9. Partyvan

Partyvan New Member

Sorry it's been a while guys!

I put her on some 18s for a while, lowered on Eibach springs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then added an RS4 rear anti-roll bar, wow what a transformation! Turns the car from a wallowy sack of ***** into a decent handler! Highly recommended
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally some new BBS CH replica wheels on Rainsport 3 tyres
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some arty pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's also been Stage 1 remapped with an EGR delete

Finally, for a laugh I took her on track at Cadwell Park, recording a 1min 58. Same lap time as my mate's Clio 172! I was able to take her into Coppice corner at 90mph!
    [​IMG]

Future plans are:
    - Full quality ICE install

Gazwould likes this.
  10. Nathan Russell

Nathan Russell Active Member Team Phantom Team V6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

How do you find the eibachs buddy? My plan was to coilover but now need a timing chain tensioner doing. Was thinking either eibach or h&r springs.

What drop did you get?

11. FutureRS4Owner

FutureRS4Owner New Member

That's amazing that it gets round as fast as a 172!! I might have to get myself some RS4 anti roll bars! Less than £150 new? Do they take long to fit? Im thinking an hours labour?

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. FutureRS4Owner

Im just getting some -40mm Vogtland springs fitted, Great price from Demon Tweeks ebay shop.:tonguewink:

Nathan Russell likes this.
  14. Nathan Russell

Nathan Russell Active Member Team Phantom Team V6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

Let me know how they look and feel mate. I was going to go vogtland coils originally.

15. FutureRS4Owner

Just had the backs done, quite impressed! Perfect height, and not too hard on bumps.