Battery or alternator?

kieran lloyd

Reaction score
Hi

Last night I noticed that my headlights and interior light is flickering and if i put radio and air con on too I then lose the lights for the window switches.

I have tested battery today it was reading 12.1 with car turned off. Once running the 14.7

Just to confirm it will be the battery that needs replacing not the alternator?

Hi

Last night I noticed that my headlights and interior light is flickering and if i put radio and air con on too I then lose the lights for the window switches.

I have tested battery today it was reading 12.1 with car turned off. Once running the 14.7

Just to confirm it will be the battery that needs replacing not the alternator?

I had my clock and mileage flickering on my dash.
Was told to change the battery. Tbh, it had the original battery that was 10 years old. So I changed it.
Didn’t fix the flickering clock. Was going to do the alternator at some point as a next step.
Changed the reverse switch in the gearbox as the switch was busted, some how that fixed my dash issue.

If I were you, I’d consider changing the battery first...how old is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced the battery and still am have flickering lights etc.

Any other ideas?

12.1v is too low for a battery that should have a full charge - it should be around 12.6v. 14.7 is a decent charge voltage so that rules out the alternator. Time for a new battery - checkout eurocarparts or gsf when they have a weekend discount code for upto 60% off.

I put a new battery on and turned car on and lights and was still doing it. I didn't let it run for long but I assumed it would fix it straight away.

After further inspection I have found this...

Can I get a replacement cable for this?

Attachments

• 20200611_190240.jpg
    20200611_190240.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 188
I would use some solder crimps.

Basically these

3486c13599e2b8ea56dbaaa6ad709778.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need some heat to melt the ring of solder

I got a good connection and still no luck.

upon looking today it seems like it pulsates in line with the engine ticking over.

It is all working fine until I turn on the engine, would it be the alternator?

If the alternator rectifiers are goosed then ac voltage can come out instead of a nice smooth 12v DC and make lights flicker. Non original led bulbs will be most affected and others can flicker but not so much.
First I would go through all the Battery connections and fuse boxes and check how clean they are. If you have a meter, switch it to AC scale and see if you get a reading. If all else fails then have the alternator off the car and tested by a reconditioning shop, there’s a few around including Bosch Service centres.

If the alternator rectifiers are goosed then ac voltage can come out instead of a nice smooth 12v DC and make lights flicker. Non original led bulbs will be most affected and others can flicker but not so much.
First I would go through all the Battery connections and fuse boxes and check how clean they are. If you have a meter, switch it to AC scale and see if you get a reading. If all else fails then have the alternator off the car and tested by a reconditioning shop, there’s a few around including Bosch Service centres.

When turning it to ac scale where should I be testing it? On the battery terminals?

Shiuldnt read anything on AC scale. In DC scale it should read 13.5 to 14.5volts