Banging noise!?!?

Kevinp1992

Reaction score
Hi guys i have a audi A3 SE 2.0TDI every little bump or even an uneven country road there is a loud banging. I think it from the driver side sounds like something hanging loose and it keeps hitting something. Sorry for the poor description. I have had a look under the car nothing seems loose or out of place. Drives fine and don't seem to be effecting anything but it is quite a loud banging/tapping sound. Would welcome any suggestions or questions.

Thanks had a look on some videos and it does seem to match the top mount problem will have a look in a bit. Hard to enjoy a drive while there is a lot of banging going on.

Anti roll bar bushes or lower link bushes also

Reactions: Kevinp1992
Did you sort this. I had the same issue until this morning. Car went in for arb bushes to be done but it was the control arm bushes.
Told the garage to do both jobs but they would only do the issue. To do the arb’s would be criminal he said as they were fine.

A garage with a conscience!

Not had any time yet as i work 2-10pm everyday and weather don't help one bit . Will need to get it sorted this weekend. Did you get a price for it to be done? I have a lot of plans for the car but holding back due to not knowing cost to repair this issue out.

£150 fitted. (Both sides)

If that is the issue what you do can depend if the car has had non oe arms fitted in the past. Fitting oe bushes into non oe arms can result in some movement still.

To check the bush see it there is any front to back play. If there is you should see the arm moving in/out of the bush.

Do you feel any movement when pulling away/ braking?

Last edited:
There is a slight vibration in the steering when braking but pulls fine it bangs over barely anything to be honest

nothing if I'm on a smooth surface. There's not much roads here in north wales that are smooth tho

Still could not spot anything. Took it to the garage this morning and they said they will give me a call on Monday so hopefully will know what and how much then. Will post on this thread once i know what it was. Can't wait to enjoy driving again with no banging. Hope it will be done quick as i will have to drive the Mrs Toyota for a couple days dashboard seems to be a mile and a half from me