Balance Shaft delete using Free wheel.

norad97

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted these free wheel sprocket gear to there car, I have seen two makes
Wasa motor and VSI.
I can see how this solves a problem with the oil pump balance shafts,
what a out vibration ?

Free wheel?

The two delete solutions Ive have seen for TDI and TFSI have been fitting the older pumps 1.8 and 1.9 respectively

Yes but replaces the OEM sprocket that is the weak spot on the balancer shaft, fit the Free wheel and you just left with one balancer shaft
turning the oil pump only, no more strain on the chain or the shaft locking up due to the bad OEM sprocket.
Yes you still use the chain and tensioner, but most of the problems that cause the pump failure have been removed.
Best thing is to read the Wasamotor in the link above,

They do a good write up, I'd like to see a diagram of their sprocket fitted too though, to fully explain it.
Surely the balance shafts do serve a real purpose, it why were they fitted in the first place? Deleting them must cause more vibration.

i have a freewheel fitted when i rebuilt my bottom end at the begining of the year and seems ok, i cant comment on vibration as i have 034 mounts, lightweight flywheel, fluidampr amongst other things which effect nvh. if your considering it, consider getting a new chain/tensioner fitted too, mine didnt look to happy at 170k.

Hi,i swaped the all oil pump ballanceshaft group,and fited an regular oil pump.

Inviato dal mio SM-G980F utilizzando Tapatalk

I did not noticed extra vibrations

Inviato dal mio SM-G980F utilizzando Tapatalk

Wasa motor do a good write up on the sprocket, and it does not cause any vibration.
If you look at the Audi balancer shaft oil pump design, it makes you wonder what they were thinking? all that metal just to pump oil
around the engine. Why they over engineed it, well who knows.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Wasa motor do a good write up on the sprocket, and it does not cause any vibration.
If you look at the Audi balancer shaft oil pump design, it makes you wonder what they were thinking? all that metal just to pump oil

Wasa make a very good argument for fitting their product, I suspect I'll be adding it too my December old bus todolist, maybe time to get one fitted before the engine suffers a malfunction in that dept.:yes:

Yes, but I wont be able to carry it out myself, really need a hoist for that job.
I was quoted £360.00 for carbon clean with Walnut, and from rated workshop ad well.

More expense for little driving.

I really need to sort out a cambelt / waterpump service within the next few months , I have an engine hoist and stand here so maybe worth while me whipping out the lump doing the above , also the freewheel mod and fit a new clutch to keep all things up to scratch.

I'm of the understanding it also smooths out the vibrations of the engine buddy