Badge swap

SirTT

Reaction score
I've ordered a black grille and rear Audi rings for my car. The rear is straightforward enough but how do I swap the front one? Do I need to remove the front bumper to get the existing badge off?

I got mine off using a couple of trim removal tools. You need to be careful and pry out a little at a time. Once you have a gap behind the rings have something ready to wedge in it then move along to next tab.

Be aware that the tab locations may be a little different on the black rings. On mine the top left and top right tab slots in the grill were not at 12oclock, like the tabs on my black rings, but at 10 and 2. I dremelled them off to fit. Still holds tight.

Reactions: SirTT
As you appear to have an identical car to me that's good news, thank you.

I didn't need to remove the grille in the end. Careful prising with plastic tools did the job. I also removed the model and engine badges and changed the rear rings for black.
They are a bit of a job as they are slightly larger than the original rings so the tailgate needs to be fully cleaned off before fitting the new rings so I marked the original placement with masking tape and fitted to that template.
Very happy with the result.
Just the brakes to paint black and logo up now.

I didn't need to remove the grille in the end. Careful prising with plastic tools did the job. I also removed the model and engine badges and changed the rear rings for black.
They are a bit of a job as they are slightly larger than the original rings so the tailgate needs to be fully cleaned off before fitting the new rings so I marked the original placement with masking tape and fitted to that template.
Very happy with the result.
Just the brakes to paint black and logo up now.

Nice! Glad you managed it without the grill removal.

Sounds like you have done the same as me. I went gloss black rings/badges and removed all badges at back apart from quattro. Looks loads better.

I would be interested in some pics once you have done your brakes.

I'll post when done. I'm also changing the S Line badges on the wings for black ones.

do you have a link to the rings you bought, i've been toying with this for ages but always get confused on fleabay

debating removing model/engine designation too - was going to lose the s-line badges completely

When i ordered our A6 i ticked the debadged box so it came without the A6 and TDI Ultra badges. When it arrived i removed the S-Line wing badges too.

got mine on, broke 2 tabs on the OE one prizing it off... and had to remove 2 on the new one - not sure if i like it yet

20621031_1588269441223715_5734378747223065111_n.jpg

Nice! Glad you managed it without the grill removal.

Sounds like you have done the same as me. I went gloss black rings/badges and removed all badges at back apart from quattro. Looks loads better.

I would be interested in some pics once you have done your brakes.

Brakes done today.
Andy, not sure about that badge on your grille either to be honest. Perhaps it looks better on a white car. I'll pop a pic on in a few minutes along with the brake pics.

Right then. Cleaned the calipers with brake cleaner and gave them a damned good scrub. Decided just to paint the caliper and not the carrier.
Masked off as required and protected the car from overspray;

Attachments

• 20170807_124320.jpg
    20170807_124320.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 202
Sprayed with acid etch, didn't have to but wanted to!

Attachments

• 20170807_123820.jpg
    20170807_123820.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 234
Protected the car with an old sheet

Attachments

• 20170807_124009.jpg
    20170807_124009.jpg
    923.7 KB · Views: 256
20170807 133324
20170807 131921
Then 3 coats of sprayable caliper paint. Went with gloss black to match my "theme" on the car.
Pics of the end result and one of a rear caliper as well.

20170807 133330
All hubs were cleaner then copperslip treated before the wheels went back on.
Went with black S-Line badges as well;

I broke the 2 top centre clips on the oe badge, did you get yours off okay?

Gonna give mine a few days, tbh I was trying to stay with a totally stock look

Mine came off just fine.

oh well i'm sure the OE will go back on okay with 2 clips missing, nothing a bit of glue won't fix ;)

Reactions: SirTT
You won't need glue. It will hold just fine, even missing 2 clips