B9 S5 Squeaking sound from engine bay (cold start)

ChromeX

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've noticed recently on cold morning there will be a squeaky sound coming from the engine for 5 or so minutes before subduing.

Sound -

I have no idea what it could be related to but think it may be the cambelt? My thinking here is the rubber-like material contracts when exposed to cold temperatures?

Would appreciate if someone could verify if this has happened before otherwise, I'll book it in for diagnostics

I have a similar sound on my A5 although its the previous model, CNHA engine. In my case its the auxiliary belt around the alternator and AC compressor.
I diagnosed it by spraying a small amount of water on the belt while the engine is running and the sound went away instantly but temporarily.
I've been driving like that for a while now, but soon enough I'll replace the whole assembly (belt, tensioner and alternator clutch roller)

I read somewhere that on some engines with timing belt tensioners from a certain brand (could be Gates) the tensioner had an issue that would cause a squeak though.

Reactions: ChromeX
If you have the EA839 engine (3.0 TFSI) then it can't be the cambelt because it doesn't have one :blush:
Likely an aux belt tensioner - the water test mentioned above is a good way to find out

If you have the EA839 engine (3.0 TFSI) then it can't be the cambelt because it doesn't have one :blush:
Likely an aux belt tensioner - the water test mentioned above is a good way to find out
Thank you - assuming it is the bet tensioner, is this sound normal or would it be best to book the car in for diagnostics?

It's not normal, it's often the early signs of wear, but certainly not imminent failure. Unless it is really irritating its the sort of thing you would ask to be addressed at service time. But we beware of requesting "diagnostics" from a dealer. That is a priced labour item. Better to have a normal service and mention the noise - then the tech will listen as part of the service and likely confirm the issue without a separate charge.

It's not normal, it's often the early signs of wear, but certainly not imminent failure. Unless it is really irritating its the sort of thing you would ask to be addressed at service time. But we beware of requesting "diagnostics" from a dealer. That is a priced labour item. Better to have a normal service and mention the noise - then the tech will listen as part of the service and likely confirm the issue without a separate charge.
Thank you!

This sounds like a worn aux belt to me also.
My crec engine started the same squeeking last year, just a belt showing signs of wear for me. Water test is a good one as already mentioned :) if you open the bonnet you can see the belts at the front, easy to look for shiny worn belts visually.