B8 suspension change the arm or the lot?

spartacus 68

Reaction score
12 plate 2.0TDI Allroad with 67k miles. Just passed MOT, but has advisory for suspension arm pin or bush but not resulting in excessive movement. That's on N/S and O/S front lower arms. I do tow with this car, and its no lightweight, and guess its 10 years old now too.

I thought suspension was good for 100k miles? I've rebuilt suspension on A2 and A4 Quattro V6 and I just invested in a air hammer so know what's involved. Seems like a lot of work just to replace front arms. Would you renew the whole lot before the next MOT or just do effected arms? Meyle HD front end refresh will be best part of £500 from Autodoc not including my labour then it will need tracking check too.

Reactions: audiwaterpump
Is it the front lower front arms or front lower rear arms? I'm not sure if the suspension is the same as the S4 B8 but the front lower front are a doddle, whereas the front lower rear are a little more tricky as you have to remove an annoying heat shield thing on the offside, and the steering column thing gets in the way as well.

I think it was a lower arm which started to go on mine as well, similar mileage.

I got the full Meyle HD front kit (upper and lower plus drop links etc) for the S4 and it's a fairly lengthy job, especially if you don't need to do it all. But as I have no driveway so limited to when I can work on my car I wanted to get it all out of the way in one go. The roads are shocking here but the HD kit seems to be reassuringly hard wearing.

Also, watch out for the separate ball joint in the lower section, it was revised from M12 to M14, but I think it was the facelift where this happened.

Reactions: spartacus 68 and audiwaterpump
It's front lower arms. Tester noted it as an advisory only, but I'll probably swap out at some point this year. I invested in a Laser air hammer set-up, as I know that if I need to tackle the dreaded pinch-bolt bolt for upper arms, and have the Neilson tool it should be smooth sailing. I see what price the Meyle HD front lower arms are on their own.

Point taken regards the rear lower arms and access, thank you.

Reactions: audiwaterpump
That's good news if it's just the front lower front arms. Mind to pre-load the suspension before you torque things, I almost forgot!

Can't remember if you need triple square for the front arm, I think it's the rear one but the guides will say.

I thought suspension was good for 100k miles?
I guess it depends on whether the driver attacks the speed bumps, or gently goes over them.

Plus the quality of the rubber bushing. If it's like the quality of the springs then unlikely to last 100K.
And at 10 years old the rubber will be perishing.

Not many can do this job properly without access to a car lift, but I think you are one of the few on here who can.
Pics and videos would be great, if you get the chance.:thumbs up:

Reactions: spartacus 68