B8 S4 Metallic vibrating rattle sound

Deo

Reaction score
Hi, I have a noise which sounds like a light vibrating metallic sound at about 2000 rpm, or a quick rev in 3rd gear will create the sound. Really annoying. It's not the flexi on the downpipes, as I've changed them quite recently and it's not the same noise. I'm hoping it's just a heat shield. Just on the off chance wondered if someone has recorded a heat shield noise. I've looked up various you tube vids and not found the sound, but to be fair it's hard to tell.

I hope you don't mind me jumping on the back of your thread, I have something similar with mine; have you changed any exhaust parts for aftermarket?

My S4 has de-cats and non-res downpipes and I get a really bad metallic noise around 2300RPM, doing a bit of research the exhaust may need some additional dead weight / dampening to remove the rattle, could be worth a try.

I was looking to see if anyone had come across this and the best way to add the dead weight, I have seen Mopar dampeners (part No. 52103612AA) but I cannot find them in the UK.

Yeah, I have some non resonated downpipes fitted, but these were installed quite awhile ago now and this noise has just started recently. I haven't had a chance to get under the car yet to have a good look.