B8 Avant Rear Wiper Motor

Nitro_CR

Reaction score
Hi all,

My rear wiper motor has given up. A local garage is quoting me £271 for replacement part + fitting which I think is a bit over the odds? Could anyone advise on a good aftermarket motor & how much you think fitting would cost or if it's easy enough to do yourself.

Looked on autodoc but there is loads of options so not sure which one will fit! Or could it be worth seeing if a breaker has one on eBay?

Thanks,
Nitro

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Straight forward to fit. I'm sure the original ones are made by Valeo. The copper pipe that runs to the rear washer shears allowing water to enter the motor and the rest is history.

Strip out the rear tailgate. Now I've done this on a B5, and the B8. Basically you want to get to the existing motor so you can get a parts code. Personally I'd replace it for a new part - kind of fit and forget. Second hand will tell you nothing. It's held in place with three 10mm nuts once you detach the electrical connector.

Linky here: in Russian or Polish? https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rear-wiper-stopped-working.415897/

So the tailgate may have a few torx screws on it, but most of it is trim clips. Be patient and don't haul it like you're digging for gold or you'll break the plastic. Take your time - if you have trim tools, all the better, but probably not essential.

Actually getting the wiper off the wiper motor spindle may be the most difficult part. A small puller or indeed a tool specifically for removing wipers will help. On the new motor - apply a light smear of marine grease on the spindle, add the wiper in the correct position and then torque down, but don't over-tighten. You will probably need to adjust the spray angle with a needle to get it to hit the right location.

Good opportunity to clean the glass with glass cleaner and apply a little Rain-X for that 'just fitted a new part feel!'

Reactions: Nitro_CR
OEM is Valeo and they have been messing up on VAG for decades .

The crack is NOT to by Genuine or Valeo .

I bought a Bosch .

Reactions: Nitro_CR and spartacus68
Straight forward to fit. I'm sure the original ones are made by Valeo. The copper pipe that runs to the rear washer shears allowing water to enter the motor and the rest is history.

Strip out the rear tailgate. Now I've done this on a B5, and the B8. Basically you want to get to the existing motor so you can get a parts code. Personally I'd replace it for a new part - kind of fit and forget. Second hand will tell you nothing. It's held in place with three 10mm nuts once you detach the electrical connector.

Linky here: in Russian or Polish? https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rear-wiper-stopped-working.415897/

So the tailgate may have a few torx screws on it, but most of it is trim clips. Be patient and don't haul it like you're digging for gold or you'll break the plastic. Take your time - if you have trim tools, all the better, but probably not essential.

Actually getting the wiper off the wiper motor spindle may be the most difficult part. A small puller or indeed a tool specifically for removing wipers will help. On the new motor - apply a light smear of marine grease on the spindle, add the wiper in the correct position and then torque down, but don't over-tighten. You will probably need to adjust the spray angle with a needle to get it to hit the right location.

Good opportunity to clean the glass with glass cleaner and apply a little Rain-X for that 'just fitted a new part feel!'
Thanks for the great detailed response Spartacus. Looks quite easy to do from watching the youtube video in that link, even if the explanation is in Polish! I'll look at getting a wiper removal tool if I can't get it to budge without... I'm no mechanic but I'll give it a go before paying £270+ for someone to do the job for me! I imagine a lot of the cost comes in paying for an OEM wiper motor rather than buying one yourself off Autodoc for £50!
OEM is Valeo and they have been messing up on VAG for decades .

The crack is NOT to by Genuine or Valeo .

I bought a Bosch .
Thanks for the advice Gaz. I can't find a Bosch one online but I can see Autodoc stocks a Ridex one for £50 so I'll give that a shot unless you have a better suggestion?

Reactions: spartacus68
Can't but see they have a hand in everything turbos and all .

I have recently done two cars rear tailgate struts with Ridex .