B8.5 S4 Lowering.

unclebob555

Reaction score
Hi Guys, has anyone lowered a B8 /8.5 S4 that has the magnetic ride control.
Buy lowering I mean just lowering springs 20-30mm drop and does it have any effect on the adjustable damping system, I know KW do coilover kits to compensate for this system but I don't want to pay that sort of
money for a car that is a family car, plus the missus may notice a slight difference !!!
Any feed back would be appreciated.

Hi i just got mine done a few days ago.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thou not sure if i have the ride control that you mentioned. Is it an optional.

IMG 20170315 124704

Reactions: ruairi83 and Chop.
I have drive select in my car if that is what you are referring too

Looks nice, yes ride control is an option, if you go into your MMI then drive select menu, if it has it, it will have the option
in that menu to alter your suspension control.

Yes i have a suspension option i think. My wife is in the car atm. Lowered on hr springs 30mm and put spacers on too 10mm

From memory you can select comfort dynamic and auto i think. Is that correct

Yes that is correct, how do you find the ride quality, is it any different ? Im looking for springs that won't affect the ride quality.

Lowering springs won't effect the operation of the ADS settings as it's in the shocks

But the lower you got the harsher ride you will get

Mine is on 40mm h&rs

I have 40mm H&R springs but non adaptive dampers.

The ride is horrible and I can't wait to get some coilovers.

I haven't really noticed any difference to be honest.

I haven't really noticed any difference to be honest.

I have 40mm H&R springs but non adaptive dampers.

The ride is horrible and I can't wait to get some coilovers.

Oh really thats not good, but it could be different because you haven't got the adaptive suspension?
But then -40mm on standard shocks could be putting them right on their limits as in they could be bouncing off their bumpstops

I'd say it's firm on the 40mm I don't mind it that way and always drive in dynamic anyway

With the H&Rs you don't actually get a 40mm drop over the S4 or s line spring as there already lowered

the 40mm measurement is taken from standard SE set up, prob dropped mine about 20-25mm I think so you would prob need to go 40mms to get the 20-30mm drop you want and IMO that would deff make it firmer

Last edited:
I have ads and Eibach pro kit, ride is unchanged. Just corners flatter
IMG 4476
now.

Reactions: ruairi83, gary_a4_quattro and Chop.
I'd say it's firm on the 40mm I don't mind it that way and always drive in dynamic anyway

With the H&Rs you don't actually get a 40mm drop over the S4 or s line spring as there already lowered

the 40mm measurement is taken from standard SE set up, prob dropped mine about 20-25mm I think so you would prob need to go 40mms to get the 20-30mm drop you want and IMO that would deff make it firmer

So basically they base it on standard suspension, which surely means that the spring rates are maybe not correct for S4's as they are slightly lower from factory hence the harsher ride. If you could get -20mm springs for an S4 in particular then the ride quality theoretically won't be compromised.

are you meaning a 20mm drop on the normal S4 set up, which is the H&R 40mm spring which are firm

Or 20mm spring which would only drop it 5-10mm which wouldn't really be worth doing IMO

All I know is that the S4 is already dropped from factory so you don't get the full drop of the spring, if that makes sense

I can only speak for the H&Rs as that's what I fitted, other makes might be more forgiving in the firm department, and worked out different for ride height

Last edited:
Yes I mean a 20mm drop on normal S4 set up, I don't know if the S4's with adjustable damping are any lower, at a guess they are not.
I see what you mean though. I think that different manufacturers even though they say a certain drop always vary give or take a couple of mm.

That's mine on a set of 40mm H&Rs which is firm

IMG 4220

Reactions: xpoweruk
After the car settles on new springs does the wheel alignment need redone. Cheers

@vaf888 if you've had a big drop i.e. 40s then I'd get it checked ( although iv not checked mine )

You'll soon know if your tyres ware uneven

I get them done anyways to be safe. Thanks chop

Reactions: Chop.
Thanks

There s5 wheels 255/35/19 ET32 no spacers

Wow they do look bigger, more stretched and wider.
I have the 19" original rotors with the same tyre size but the rim width is 9.5" with ET 45 ( i think ) I can't believe how much they look so different !!

Chop. I know you had 20s on before. I have been considering, but now that car is lowered by 30mm would the ride me very hard from your experience

@vaf888 mate when i look back now those 20s i had destroyed the car !

i cant speak for anyone else running 20s but a combination of the 40mm H&Rs, the roads where i am and having 30 profile tyres it was awful, best thing that happened was one of them cracked and i went back to 19s, wouldnt go back to 20s again

imo 20s are good for shows and looks good parked up but if you like to drive stay with the 19s

Reactions: unclebob555 and GAS MONKEY
Thanks chop

He's the man

@vaf888 mate when i look back now those 20s i had destroyed the car !

i cant speak for anyone else running 20s but a combination of the 40mm H&Rs, the roads where i am and having 30 profile tyres it was awful, best thing that happened was one of them cracked and i went back to 19s, wouldnt go back to 20s again

imo 20s are good for shows and looks good parked up but if you like to drive stay with the 19s

I think you hit the nail right on the head there :grinning:

I ve ordered a set of Eibach springs which apparently lower the car by 20mm all round and 10mm H&R wheel spacers.
I went for the Eibachs as from past experience they barely alter the ride quality. I fitted the on my old B7 A4 Quattro and the ride quality was surprisingly fantastic ! So I will see how they fair on a newer S4.

Reactions: ruairi83, gary_a4_quattro, GAS MONKEY and 1 other person