B7 S4 Manual revving issues ?

Ferg

Reaction score
Hello

I have a '55 S4 manual and seem to have a rev problem when changing up. At around 1,000 to 1,200 revs when I change from first to second the revs increase, not massively but I would say by at least 200-300 revs, then they drop down as you would expect. I would say this lasts about 1.5 seconds. Same from second to third which happens quite a lot when driving in 20 mph zones. I don't think this issue affects any other gears. Sometimes the revs just hover briefly between gears rather than increasing - I'm not aware of doing anything different to cause this change. This only seems to happen when the engine isn't cold, so all is 'normal' for the first few minutes driving.

I presume the revs are supposed to drop as you take your foot off the accelerator and engage the clutch, so can anyone suggest a cause for this problem, if it is that ?

Thanks,

My 2.0tfsi avant manual did a similar thing, only it held revs when the the clutch was depressed, almost like changing gear with your foot on the throttle. Super annoying! Anyway i fitted a £16 clutch switch from euro wrong parts and it fixed my issues, its now a pleasure to drive! Its worth a try for 16 bones buddy.

Reactions: Ferg
does sound like the clutch pedal switch.

here you go, part no2 :

Upload 2018 11 17 19 58 51

Reactions: AvantAlexB7 and Ferg
My 2.0tfsi avant manual did a similar thing, only it held revs when the the clutch was depressed, almost like changing gear with your foot on the throttle. Super annoying! Anyway i fitted a £16 clutch switch from euro wrong parts and it fixed my issues, its now a pleasure to drive! Its worth a try for 16 bones buddy.

Thanks for the info. As you say, hard to go wrong for that kind of money.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7 and Charlie Farley
you're welcome , allways willing to help out.

good luck with it, only a 10 min job aswell.

rob

I couldn't believe how bad mine was until i changed the switch, it was the only thing i disliked about my Avant. Now its like a different car!

Be interested to know how you get on with this. My S4 does the same thing the revs hang on slow low rev gear change between 1St and 2nd.

I think its much more noticeable with the 2.0tfsi's really due to the nature of the high revving engine , the v8's may get it lower down the rpm range , but pretty sure it the same issue.

Be interested to know how you get on with this. My S4 does the same thing the revs hang on slow low rev gear change between 1St and 2nd.

That sounds slightly different from the problems I mentioned, but could well have the same cause ? I'll certainly let you know if I get it sorted, once the part Rob has identified has been replaced.

Interested to know please, did you fix it?

Unfortunately no. The reason I haven't posted an update is, changing the clutch switch didn't do the trick. I am now waiting to hear back from my mechanic on what to try next. so any further suggestions would be welcome. Just to repeat, this only happens when the engine has warmed up a bit. Whilst the engine is still cold, the revs don't hang or rise when changing up.

Success at last ! My mechanic, who had previously been using a Snap-on computer to check error codes etc., decided to take it to someone with a VAG machine and that seems to have done the trick. The thinking is the machine performed a software update, but as no printout was produced, there's no actual proof. All I know is that my car doesn't over rev any longer.

Many thanks to everyone who has helped with suggestions, diagrams etc., along the way.

Success at last ! My mechanic, who had previously been using a Snap-on computer to check error codes etc., decided to take it to someone with a VAG machine and that seems to have done the trick. The thinking is the machine performed a software update, but as no printout was produced, there's no actual proof. All I know is that my car doesn't over rev any longer.

Many thanks to everyone who has helped with suggestions, diagrams etc., along the way.

Im glad you've sorted it. When my 2.0tfsi was doing a similar thing it drove me crazy! I had to change my driving style completely when changing gear. Luckily the clutch switch fixed mine and it feels completely different now.