B6 us running lights

Robgarnett

Reaction score
Hi guys
Was wondering if anyone knows where I can my indicators set up to be running lights, or if any of you can actually do it on vagcom/vcds?
I used to have this set up on my mk4 golf and loved it so would like to do it again!
Cheers
Video for reference below

I thought in the UK you are not allowed to run orange lights as daytime running lights. It's illegal. I have changed many American Mercedes at work to full English spec lights. Mot failure and probably get on the spot fine

Here you go have a read. Especially bottom of page; Number 9. Found a link to a guy that pulled for it and took is car away on transporter as it wasnt fit for english roads. Dont knwo what they do with all these hummers etc on the road though.

6. GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS
6.1. Each lamp shall conform to the specifications set forth in the paragraphs below.
6.2. Daytime running lamps shall be so designed and constructed that in normal use,
despite the vibration to which they may then be subjected, they continue to function
satisfactorily and retain the characteristics prescribed by this Regulation.
6.3. Daytime running lamps, which are reciprocally incorporated with another function,
using a common light source, and designed to operate permanently with an
electronic light source control gear to regulate the intensity of the light emitted, are
permitted.
6.4. Light source module
6.4.1. The design of the light source module(s) shall be such that even in darkness the
light source module(s) can be fitted in no other position, but the correct one.
6.4.2. The light source module(s) shall be tamperproof.
6.5. In the case of replaceable filament lamp(s):
6.5.1. Any category or categories of filament lamp(s) approved according to
Regulation No. 37 may be used, provided that no restriction on the use is made in
Regulation No. 37 and its series of amendments in force at the time of application
for type approval.
6.5.2. The design of the device shall be such that the filament lamp can be fixed in no
other position but the correct one.
6.5.3. The filament lamp holder shall conform to the characteristics given in IEC
Publication 60061. The holder data sheet relevant to the category of filament lamp
used, applies.
E/ECE/324
E/ECE/TRANS/505 } Rev.1/Add.86/Rev.2
Regulation No. 87
page 11
7. INTENSITY OF LIGHT
7.1. The luminous intensity of the light emitted by each lamp shall not be less
than 400 cd in the axis of reference.
7.2. Outside the reference axis and within the angular fields defined in the arrangement
diagram in Annex 7 to this Regulation, the intensity of the light emitted by each
lamp must:
7.2.1. In each direction corresponding to the points in the table of standard light
distribution reproduced in Annex 3 to this Regulation, be not less than the minimum
specified in paragraph 7.1. above, multiplied by the percentage specified in the said
table of the direction in question, and
7.2.2. not exceed 1,200 cd in any direction the lamp is visible.
7.3. Moreover, throughout the field defined in the diagram in Annex 7, the intensity of
the light emitted must not be less than 1.0 cd.
7.4. In the case of a lamp containing more than one light source the lamp shall comply
with the minimum intensity required when any one light source has failed and when
all light sources are illuminated the maximum intensity shall not be exceeded.
A group of light sources, wired so that the failure of any one of them causes all of
them to stop emitting light, shall be considered to be one light source.
8. APPARENT SURFACE
The area of the apparent surface in the direction of the axis of reference of the lamp
shall be not less than 25 cm² and not more than 200 cm².
9. COLOUR OF LIGHT
The colour of the light shall be white. It shall be measured under the conditions as
prescribed in paragraph 10. below.
The colour must be within the limits of the trichromatic co-ordinates prescribed in
Annex 4 to this Regulation.

I wouldn't even consider doing this in the UK, people would mistake for indicator & an accident waiting to happen IMHO.

Didn't realise it was illegal, won't be bothering if that's the case, never been pulled and don't fancy a fine either!
Cheers

I've got a set of Xenon coloured rings around the nights of my B6. It looks decent and didn't require changing the lights or anything. I bought them from a mechanic friend and he installed them for me, so I don't know where he got them. I'll see if I can nab a picture of them. They aren't as bright as the DTRLs of a newer Audi, so they are a bit dull in bright daylight.

I've got a set of Xenon coloured rings around the nights of my B6. It looks decent and didn't require changing the lights or anything. I bought them from a mechanic friend and he installed them for me, so I don't know where he got them. I'll see if I can nab a picture of them. They aren't as bright as the DTRLs of a newer Audi, so they are a bit dull in bright daylight.
Sounds good mate could be a decent alternative. Would like to see a picture!

It slipped my mind today, but I'll grab a pic of them tomorrow. I've got a reminder set and all. Knowing me, I'll still forget!

There is a company called bolts bolts that sell the kit for this. I know the video you have linked to, the owner is on here.

I'm sure it's bolts bolts that provided this kit fitted to the above car as well.

Personally I think DRLs are a stupid idea forced on us by bored people in Europe. They detract from safety not add to it.

Personally I think DRLs are a stupid idea forced on us by bored people in Europe. They detract from safety not add to it.
I'd actually say the opposite. It rains a lot where I am so visibility is not great sometimes. Seeing the bright LED strips in the lights of newer Audis makes it far easier to spot them in the distance. They definitely add to safety in Ireland by increasing visibility. You'd be surprised how many people forget to turn on their lights at all here in poor visibility.

Same here.. always seems to be people with grey or silver coloured cars too, the worst ones to spot in rain or fog..

Reactions: JamieOS
Unfortunately I see a lot of cars driving around with DRLs that at
Re way too bright, I had to dip my rear mirror recently because the focus behind was actually distracting. Also seen cars quite often driving at dusk with DRLs only hence no rear lights and the biggest issue DRLs make cars more visible but take the drivers eye away from pedestrians or cyclists.

I can't get a good enough picture of my own lights at the moment. Its too bright outside. I asked my friend what they were called. They are Angel eyes. You'll have to remove the light lens to install them. Mine only come on with the parking lights, dims and fulls. They are fully off when all lights are off. You can probably wire it differently if you want.. Mine look a little like this only they are a bit more blue/xenon like the ones in the bottom picture. Mine are very dull during bright daylight, but are noticeable when its getting darker in the evening. Some people like them, some hate them. I could have got a set with an LED strip similar to the ones on a 2008 A5, but it would have meant buying two new headlights at a higher cost. I'm sire there is some way to install a strip in the existing lights the same way the Angel eyes are installed.

IMG_0395.jpg~original

100_1260.jpg

Here is my set. Forgive my dirty headlight, its been through about 700 miles of travel without a cleaning. I took the picture when it was still a little bright outside, but my phone didn't like being so close to a light so it made it look pitch dark and caused a bit of gleaming. Mine is only a single smaller ring on the outer light of each headlight with a xenon bulb on the inner one. I wish the ring was a little bit brighter to be honest.

I had a set of xenon bulbs for the dims and full lights, but they were way too blue for my liking.

yt5iPYEl.jpg

merc driving lights are awful, they seem to be bouncing around when following.

My cars us spec so has the driving lights amongst other things.

Thanks for the pics man, they look good but it's the indicator bulb I'd want to be lit up. I thought if it was possible by using vcds you could also change brightness like you can on mk5 golfs for instance!
Think the new style drls are ridiculously bright on some cars, but def make the cars more visible!!

The car in the video is mine at the beginning I'm running U.S. side lights as you can see by my video lol how can I help

The car in the video is mine at the beginning I'm running U.S. side lights as you can see by my video lol how can I help

How did you get them? Programmed on vcds? New lights or wired in bulbs? They look great!

Thank you I thought I'd just check out the thread was pretty shocked when I see you posted my video haha. You can't program this feature on a b6 I wired this in myself with the help of a double pole bulb holder