Autonomous Emergency Braking & Insurance Rating

glospete

Reaction score
As we know the Adaptive Cruise Control comes with AEB which a) brakes the car to a halt at speeds below 18mph even if ACC is not switched on and b) gives a jolt to warn you at higher speeds and then brakes the car if you are not braking strongly enough. My question is whether anyone has experienced either of these situations? I'd love to test the former but am a little nervous of doing it in real life. Does the object in front need to be metal or could I use a cardboard box in a car park?

I also contacted my insurance company (LV) because Thatcham say that insurance companies rate cars with AEB 4 or 5 groups lower but LV does not. The explanation from the MD's office is that AEB is only taken into consideration if it is a standard fitting and not an optional extra.

The other aspect I queried is the AIB rating for my car is group 24 but LV rates it at 31. The explanation is that the AIB rating is "advisory" and if a particular insurance company deems that a particular model is a higher risk then it can fix a different group rating for it. This surprised even the person I spoke to in the MD's office.

Cardboard box wrapped in tin foil should do it:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ptive-cruise-control-on-your-8v-a3-s3.208485/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/pre-sense-anyone-test-it-yet.205472/

I've had mine go off in genuine situations, where I got the visual alert and "bing", but on both occasions I was on the brake pedal within milliseconds anyway (or accelerated past the object), so didn't give the system a chance to go further. This is normally when I've been driving like a d1ck anyway, or wanting to go past a car turning left without the proper gap.

Although last week, someone I was following around the roundabout decided to slam on their brakes just past the exit of the roundabout (presumably because they thought they took the wrong exit) - and the system kicked in beautifully, much quicker than my reactions.

Two unexplained false alarms in 7000 miles, I think I can live with that considering the benefits of the system.

Standard fit on Golf GTi, so the insurance classification for that car is lower on most insurers groupings, as it isn't an option.

Cardboard box wrapped in tin foil should do it:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ptive-cruise-control-on-your-8v-a3-s3.208485/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/pre-sense-anyone-test-it-yet.205472/

I've had mine go off in genuine situations, where I got the visual alert and "bing", but on both occasions I was on the brake pedal within milliseconds anyway (or accelerated past the object), so didn't give the system a chance to go further. This is normally when I've been driving like a d1ck anyway, or wanting to go past a car turning left without the proper gap.

Although last week, someone I was following around the roundabout decided to slam on their brakes just past the exit of the roundabout (presumably because they thought they took the wrong exit) - and the system kicked in beautifully, much quicker than my reactions.

Two unexplained false alarms in 7000 miles, I think I can live with that considering the benefits of the system.

Standard fit on Golf GTi, so the insurance classification for that car is lower on most insurers groupings, as it isn't an option.

We n the d to construct this cardboard box lol

It's a date.

I'll meet you on Level 3 of the multi storey.

Still need to get you know who out of bed to compare LED vs Xenon.

Reactions: The Challinor
It gets worse.

Someone, who shall remain nameless, rushed home to their other half, and said, darling, I'm going to have to get a dash cam.

Only they mistakenly substituted the "d" for a "g" .........

Reactions: Cymru09, The Challinor, Martinbanshee and 2 others
I've had the automatic braking kick in twice.

The first time I was joining a dual carriageway (admittedly, fairly rapidly). There was a car in the left lane and I headed straight for the right lane but my car presumably thought I was going to drive into the car in the left lane so it hit the brakes.

The second time I was in lane 3 of the motorway in traffic but allowing a decent gap in front. The guy behind obviously thought I was leaving too big a gap so he pulled into the middle lane, undertook and then cut back in front. I normally ignore idiots like this but on this occasion I'm ashamed to say I did react - when the traffic cleared and the road opened up I nailed the throttle and shot up behind him. Obviously I was going to brake before I got to him but the car decided I was leaving the braking too late and so took over and hit the anchors.

I get the flashing warning on the dash almost every day and I've had the warning triangle quite a few times as well so maybe it is my driving that is fault! That said I would challenge anyone to do my commute every day without setting off at least the initial warning for being too close to the car in front.

I wanted the ACC menu so I could set default to distance 4 but having driven on most of the motorways in England I can understand some people wanting to set it to distance 2. You'd end up going backwards with all the cars cutting into your breaking space otherwise

Last edited:
Reactions: veeeight
I had the brakes kick in when the car in front slammed on for an ambulance on the wrong side of the road at a junction. I though I had hit him! Was weird, like having dual control with a driving instructor. I would say that one intervention was work the price of the option!