Auto headlight leveling fault S3 8P3 sportback

dave_ph

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

The headlight leveling on my car has stopped working randomly.

It still self tests when turning the car on fine so the motors are working, there aren't any errors on VCDS and I located the leveling sensor on the rear axle and that looked in tact and undamaged. I couldn't find one on the front however.

Is there a sensor on the front axle as well and if so where is it? If not any ideas what could be the problem? Could it just be the leveling sensor on the rear dying? I used to live on an estate which had speed bumps (always careful over) so could this have caused premature failure?

Cheers
Dave

I'm sure there is a sensor on the front near side. I had the same problem but mine was the rear so have a good look for the one on the front. I'm sure someone will pipe up and tell you where it is

Screen Shot 2016 11 16 at 113408

I'm sure there is a sensor on the front near side. I had the same problem but mine was the rear so have a good look for the one on the front. I'm sure someone will pipe up and tell you where it is
How do you know it had failed?

If it has magride it has 1 per corner, otherwise front & rear have 1 on both nearside axles.

I looked at my rear sensor and could see the rod had snapped so just got some wire and glue and wallah it's been fine since

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm changed the front discs and pads in the next few days so will have a good look for that front sensor!

Hi all,

I had a look a few mins ago and couldn't find the sensor on the front axle. Couldn't even see any mounting points for it or any cables were it should be to. I checked the near side thoroughly (the rear is on the near side and in tact). I had a quick look at the offside and couldn't see anything either. I took photos as best I could:

IMG 0119

IMG 0120

IMG 0121

IMG 0122

Any ideas? The car is 59reg facelift

Cheers!

Passenger side just behind the front wheel, that's where mine is at front lol just away to glue mine as it snapped :(

Would you mind sending across a photo of yours so I can see where it is/should be?

I've had another look and mine and definately can't see the levelling sensor or any of its components or any mounting points for where it should be

I have one at back and 1 at front on 2007 s3, sorry can't be of anymore help.