Audio Underwhelming?

jaypers777

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to tweak the B&O system, currently with settings as per another thread in here. Is anyone else, like me, a little underwhelmed with the system? Does it get better with time?? The B&O in my 8v hatch seemed much punchier and more satisfying. Maybe I need to tweak some more…….don’t get me wrong, it’s very good but I thought it would be better than my 8v for some reason.

Source wise, I’ve tried FLAC files on a memory card via the USB-C slot which is certainly better than Spotify via Bluetooth.

Interested in anyone thoughts on this.

Interesting point. I’ve posted up a slightly different slant on this previously so will recap.
My old 2018 B9 S4 Avant - B&O - Excellent, to the extent that it was a ‘must have’ when I bought my next car.
2019 B9 RS4 - B&O - underwhelming and never sounded as good as in the S4. Settings played around with forever but still not close to the B&O was in the S4, it just seemed to lack clarity and depth (sorry, I’m no audiophile).
2021 B9.5 A4 Allroad tfsi 265bhp - B&O - Excellent again, no idea why the audio is a hit or a miss but 3 similar cars, with the same body. 2 great and 1 not so…. Hmmmmm ?

I agree the 8Y isn’t as good as the 8V - There is a sound setting missing - treble, mid and base - should be there but I think mid is missing.

Think I’ve got the treble, bass and sub all set to about 75/80%. Does the trick for me, my 8v might have been better but not one of the things that’s enough to notice or that’ll bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give it time, the speakers are mega tight from new, mine has improved no end these past few months.

Think I’ve got the treble, bass and sub all set to about 75/80%. Does the trick for me, my 8v might have been better but not one of the things that’s enough to notice or that’ll bother me.

It is missing ”mid” which the 8V had - to me it doesn’t sound as good as the mid range is too muddy because you can’t adjust it.

It is missing ”mid” which the 8V had - to me it doesn’t sound as good as the mid range is too muddy because you can’t adjust it.

Maybe just not something that bothers me personally

Reactions: 8YARWY
Yeah I am not at all happy with mine tbh and we're 4000 miles in now. Compared to the harmon kardon in the girlfriends BMW at £30k it's is pants.

• Wow
Reactions: 3vans
You need at least 50hrs before they start loosening up as with any speaker, bass or mid especially

Give it time, the speakers are mega tight from new, mine has improved no end these past few months.
Car speakers as is from new don't improve that much with use they're not like hifi/home cinema speakers which do improve a lot when run inn
What makes a ICE is the quality of the subwoofer...the most important speaker in any car....my B&O in the TTS was the best I've had from a Audi car ....just last week l was listening to a burmeister in a Macan GTS ...this system could shake loose the interior trim after prolonged use....again not a great system too boomy even after adjustment it still couldn't disperse the boom to a comfortable level ....also ****** plastic door cards don't do the 8Y much favours either acoustically....

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Car speakers as is from new don't improve that much with use they're not like hifi/home cinema speakers which do improve a lot when run inn
What makes a ICE is the quality of the subwoofer...the most important speaker in any car....my B&O in the TTS was the best I've had from a Audi car ....just last week l was listening to a burmeister in a Macan GTS ...this system could shake loose the interior trim after prolonged use....again not a great system too boomy even after adjustment it still couldn't disperse the boom to a comfortable level ....also ****** plastic door cards don't do the 8Y much favours either acoustically....

And Audi moved it from the spare wheel well on the 8Y into the rear arch.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Lol calling @Terminator x another good news thread

• Haha
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin
Lol the doom and gloom in this place :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I guess because the 5 pot has become more muted, people are using the sound system more lol……..only to find out it’s not worth the extra

• Haha
Reactions: Jassyo06, Terminator x and Snake Pliskin
I guess because the 5 pot has become more muted, people are using the sound system more lol……..only to find out it’s not worth the extra

lol there is some truth in that

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Terminator x
Def not worth the extra money and the B&O was the only reason I got the tech pack. Im ****** lol. My 2013 S5 B&O was night and day better. They def downgraded the quality of the speakers. Its as simple as that. 4k down the drain since I need to now replace the speakers. And yall are right, its 100% the mid range thats lacking. Its not clear at all and you cant fix it in the settings.

Def not worth the extra money and the B&O was the only reason I got the tech pack. Im ****** lol. My 2013 S5 B&O was night and day better. They def downgraded the quality of the speakers. Its as simple as that. 4k down the drain since I need to now replace the speakers. And yall are right, its 100% the mid range thats lacking. Its not clear at all and you cant fix it in the settings.
Why not save yourself the spend on that and just get an OPF delete when available? Then do as I'll do and just listen to that sweet "noise-released" 5 pot :)

Why not save yourself the spend on that and just get an OPF delete when available? Then do as I'll do and just listen to that sweet "noise-released" 5 pot :)

Cause I assumed it was like the older systems and was actually good. Too late now haha

If you want better sounds you will need better speakers and proper amp with digital sound processor. The factory crap is exactly that - crap

To be clear I’d still suggest getting the B&O as whilst it is not as good as the 8V it is still better than the standard speaker system and not choosing it means leaving out other valuable options that improve the car and make it more valuable for future resale.

To be clear I’d still suggest getting the B&O as whilst it is not as good as the 8V it is still better than the standard speaker system and not choosing it means leaving out other valuable options that improve the car and make it more valuable for future resale.
What other 'valuable options' are you referring to ?

It was the only reason I opted for the C&S pack too but from experience of selling my last two Audis, it’s a desirable pack and adds resale value.

What other 'valuable options' are you referring to ?
I think he's referring to the rear camera and keyless central door locking
Whilst on sound quality the fiesta I've been driving is ok....but l jumped into my mother's A1 and straight away l thought whaoo the Fiesta’s sound system is pants Mum has the Audi sound system which was a 1 up option over the standard system....So what's been said here is the 8Y"s B&O quality has been reduced inside and out....ie deletion of external led lights

Reactions: 8YARWY
For me in the US the tech package for 4K USD is only B&O, Heads Up display, and blind spot sensors. Thats it. It was def a waste of money for me. I didnt want the blind spot and heads up on its own is not worth 4k

I was messing with the settings in our new S3, it just needed the sub turned up a bit and all the crap turned on with focus set to "Front"

Camelphat over Spotify sounded pretty good.

Not sure how much better if at all it is to HK.

You all forgot to mention quality of internal surfaces has reduced drastically, which will impact acoustics in general...without going in to too much about the mechanics of audio environments.

Reactions: Southall87
No sub in mine, its bog standard spec.

I was thinking it could go under the boot carpet as there's alot of wasted space, plus the battery is there so less wiring to run.

No sub in mine, its bog standard spec.

I was thinking it could go under the boot carpet as there's alot of wasted space, plus the battery is there so less wiring to run.

Bog standard has audi sound system in though ?

All subs are in the left hand compartment now behind the rear wheel arch.

I've no idea what it's got. If there is a sub, it must be a 1-inch sub haha.

Reactions: Terminator x
I've no idea what it's got. If there is a sub, it must be a 1-inch sub haha.

fae452318fe5d06ce38a4708f7a2e7d9.jpg

I've tracked down the source of the distorted bass, the cabin compression vent beside the sub vibrates with the air that the sub moves and creates a noise similar to something contacting the cone of the sub. I've blocked the vent for now just to isolate the noise, if anyone has a better solution i'm all ears. The doors still seem close without slamming.
20230325 151552

Last edited:
Reactions: cooperp
I've tracked down the source of the distorted bass, the cabin compression vent beside the sub vibrates with the air that the sub moves and creates a noise similar to something contacting the cone of the sub. I've blocked the vent for now just to isolate the noise, if anyone has a better solution i'm all ears. The doors still seem close without slamming.View attachment 266063

Theres a TPI for it.

Basically says explain to customer that it’s like that and no fix required.

Reactions: doncarlyon and cooperp
I'm afraid it's nothing to do with running in or interior materials. The audio system in my Teslarse, which isn't exactly a Bentley inside, is fantastic and was from the day I got it.

B&O is just shyte but we added the sound and comfort pack to our S3 to get B&O as the stock system must sound appalling! I tried it in an SQ5 and it was still shyte.

BMW HK is much better now and the Teslarse better again. At least, depending on the amp connectivity, it should be possible to retro fit decent speakers.

I'm afraid it's nothing to do with running in or interior materials. The audio system in my Teslarse, which isn't exactly a Bentley inside, is fantastic and was from the day I got it.

B&O is just shyte but we added the sound and comfort pack to our S3 to get B&O as the stock system must sound appalling! I tried it in an SQ5 and it was still shyte.

BMW HK is much better now and the Teslarse better again. At least, depending on the amp connectivity, it should be possible to retro fit decent speakers.
Really
what year SQ5?

Our 2018 SQ5 with B&O sounds very good to me. Massive improvement to the 2014 SQ5 with B&O we previously owned.

I have you agree, I'm in a Model Y now and the sound system is night and day better than the RS3 was. Not even tweaked the settings yet either. It's ridiculously rich and all bass ranges are covered with no drop-off.

Mind you, miss the 5 pot!!

Reactions: 8YARWY and rngDeadeye