Audi Service Help

Nics

Reaction score
Hi all, I've read through a few threads since I joined and they've been a great help! This time round I've created a thread myself which, is a first for me.

Basically, I went in to Audi for my scheduled major service on the 7th and sat in the waiting area for them to complete the work. While my car was with the Dealer they decided to take it out for a spin around the area. Watching the footage from my dash cam it doesn't seem like the technician driving had the lightest foot when it came to the accelerator.

Are they allowed to take my car out seeing as it was only in for a service + a pollen filter change?
If not then, any suggestions on what to do please?

Adding to that, as my cam also records audio so you'll hear their entire conversation in the car throughout the journey (definitely worth a listen, truly shocking).

I've added a link to the video, let me know if there's an issue with the audio as the radio is playing in the recording and I'm having to go through the copyright dispute process on YouTube.

My understanding is that the car is always given a short road test post a service or other remedial work that may have been undertaken for 2 reasons:
- to check that the work that has been done has not affected the car adversely (I.e. Are all nuts and bolts done up)
- to check if there are any other issues with the car that you may not have noticed but that they detect

This is standard practice across the industry, and whilst not all manufacturer dealerships may do an actual road test (some have different qualitative controls), they certainly reserve the right to do so unless you indicate otherwise when you check the car in.

The main reason behind this though is to protect you and them. Imagine if they gave you back your car after remedial work, such as a service and an item failed for some reason. Who would you deem responsible? Or if they didn't pick up on something amiss which was a safety issue, you got the car back and that then failed? They do have a duty of care in providing a service to you, and the test drive is part of that

Hahaa I not sure they noticed the cam then .....

Just watched the video - good grief! And even after they noticed the camera they still continued dissing customers!
So I guess this is "we did a road test and could not replicate the issue". At least they kept to speed limits (in the main) or were aware of them.

Surely though "technicians" must realise these days that dash cams record sound?

Still, nice to know that as a "customer" you are appreciated for your business.

Have you shown it to the dealership yet? What has been their response? If you haven't then I suggest you do (or ask to see the technician you serviced your car - his name should be on your receipt - and tell him you recorded the whole thing and would he like to explain his comments to you please

Hmm,
I actually dont think its that bad?
The car seemed to be driven quite gently and within speed limits most of the time.

OK, we clearly arent dealing with the nations finest, but in a conversation between two "technicians" you can kinda see where theyre coming from with their comments about customers who dont have a clue about cars.

Hmm,
The car seemed to be driven quite gently and within speed limits most of the time.

OK, we clearly arent dealing with the nations finest, but in a conversation between two "technicians" you can kinda see where theyre coming from with their comments about customers who dont have a clue about cars.

Actually after looking at it again, I think you are spot on. Sounds like they did the service properly and as we can see from the footage on the test drive they did keep to limit and respect your S3. Realistically it's just a bit of banter amongst mechanics. I think though I would perhaps have a quiet word with the technician to advise him that dashcams record voice and leave it at that. Whether you want to leave it on Youtube is up to you, eventually Audi will see it, and/or the dealership will notice it - is that what you want?

Also it has your registration number in the bottom RH corner, so anyone at Audi could trace the clip back to you.

What I found amusing is what is painted on the wall of the workshop in the first few minutes "Reputation created by all". LOL

Reactions: Martinbanshee and xpoweruk
how did i know that would be Watford dealership, I recognised the guy at the start in glasses. He 'helped' us when I had to pick my car up one morning, I had to tell him 6 times I was there to PICK MY CAR UP! after he kept asking me what car I was dropping off. I thought he must've been a work experience lad or something??

I think this pretty much boils down to unrealistic expectations!

OK they're Audi 'technicians' but underneath all that they're nothing more than 'grease monkeys'............................. go to any back street garage and you'll hear that kind of banter all the time................why would Audi's guys be any different?

Most people who deal with customers face to face or on the phone spend a large part of their day slagging them off...........it's human nature :)

As long as they do a decent job who cares ***!!

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Daveotto
Actually after looking at it again, I think you are spot on. Sounds like they did the service properly and as we can see from the footage on the test drive they did keep to limit and respect your S3. Realistically it's just a bit of banter amongst mechanics. I think though I would perhaps have a quiet word with the technician to advise him that dashcams record voice and leave it at that. Whether you want to leave it on Youtube is up to you, eventually Audi will see it, and/or the dealership will notice it - is that what you want?

Also it has your registration number in the bottom RH corner, so anyone at Audi could trace the clip back to you.

What I found amusing is what is painted on the wall of the workshop in the first few minutes "Reputation created by all". LOL

It could be a matter of me being way too critical when it comes to others taking my car out. I'm sure they get other S's and RS's in that are a lot more fun to drive but when performance cars are involved there can be a tendency to treat a post service/maintenance drive as a personal 'test drive'.

Haven't had a chance to get down to the dealership to do anything with the footage, plus a second opinion on situations like this always help to gauge how serious the issue is.

The thing that gets me is, yes I might come in to the dealership for you to look at a squeak or a rattle that can be heard when I drive but I'd expect it to be looked at, not shrugged off. I've bought the car, it comes with a warranty for any issues that arise, I need it to be investigated not given a 'I don't have time to look for your squeak' attitude. Makes you think are they really looking at your problem or are they replacing parts for the hell of it?

Had my S3 for a simple oil change a few months ago. I took it back with 25kms plus. Be sure the top manager has been informed by myself in the minute ! From now on, every time I pay them a visit I do get the red carpet...

Had my S3 for a simple oil change a few months ago. I took it back with 25kms plus. Be sure the top manager has been informed by myself in the minute ! From now on, every time I pay them a visit I do get the red carpet...

Always take a photo of the odometer whenever I leave my car at a garage or anywhere where it might be driven by someone else (e.g. valet parking)

Reactions: lucas-suisse and JohnM100
I went to Watford Audi, rung up with regards an S3 they had for sale made arrangement to go for test drive and view.
Drove from reading only to arrive and after 20 mins talking to salesman, to find out car had been lent out as a loan car for anther member of staff.

Never went back brought S3 from another dealer.

Very poor customer service.

Shocking video although know how why my dam cam had been disconnected after service.

Hmm,

Agree, it ain't that bad, mechanics banter thats all and sounds like the experienced greased monkey bigging it up to the newbie.

Ifs its bugging you take it in and show it to the service manager..but IMHO lifes to short as job was done Ok and car was driven respectfully on the test drive.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Simon L
Garage talk: #$!*&%^/*

( The Universal Language )

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Simon L
I went to Watford Audi, rung up with regards an S3 they had for sale made arrangement to go for test drive and view.
Drove from reading only to arrive and after 20 mins talking to salesman, to find out car had been lent out as a loan car for anther member of staff.

Never went back brought S3 from another dealer.

Very poor customer service.

Shocking video although know how why my dam cam had been disconnected after service.

That's appalling I would have asked them to cover mileage costs must be close to 100 mile round trip

Must be a Watford thing as I got pretty ropey service from Mercedes Watford when I went to test drive a a GLA before I ordered my S3