Audi Service - Battery Issues

Frizzley

Staff member
Reaction score
Thought it would be worth sharing my experince with Audi service today.

over the last couple of weeks I have Been experiencing an increasingly slow engine turnover when trying to start the car, both first thing in the morning and during trips when the stop start cut in. Final straw was yesterday when it failed to start even though the car had just done a 300 mile trip. Fired up instantly when trying to jump start it so today decided to get it sorted.

First challenge turned out to be my local Audi centre who told me the earliest they could look at the car would be Monday and if I wanted a courtesy car then I would have to wait a couple of weeks for them to look at it - not great when your not sure if it’s going to start every time you stop at a junction or traffic lights unless you’d remembered to deactivate the stop start system

I then remembered the car is covered by Audi assist and that if they could not fix it then they would take it to the nearest Audi centre and they would also provide a courtesy car for 48 hours so after a quick call the AA were dispatched and upon arrival quickly decided there was a problem with the battery and this was the 9th one he was aware of over the last couple of days!

So car then taken to Audi and replaced ordered - this was delivered a couple of hours later only for the driver to mention he had just had a deliver replacement car for a Q5 with a similar problem and the owner had been told a new battery would had to be sourced from Germany.

Shortly after I then get a call re my car saying the problem had been traced to a faulty battery and that a replacement would need to be sourced from Germany too but they could not confirm how long this would take.

Looks like there may be an issue with a batch of batteries - the good news is Audi have said I can keep the replacement 2.0 TFSI until mine is fixed. - great opportunity to compare its performance to my 3.0 TDI.

Hi

I have experienced the same problems but my total failure to start was preceded by a replacement of the dashboard control unit under warranty (£2500) after fault tracing highlighted it had failed. So problem fixed well that was mid October on Monday my car started exhibiting same problems as before and as you mention struggling to start after start stop had kicked in, I was stranded in the middle lane of the M42 junction 4 island! 90 minutes until recovery by Edgertons and some physical traffic management by myself after even the hazards gave out after 20 minutes!

Car would not start locked in park no hand break release as electric total nightmare. Recovery vehicles battery pack flattened getting my car onto the low loader. Took car to Listers Audi 1 mile away in Solihull and told by service that as Birmingham Watery Lane Listers had looked at the car in October they would not look at it as that was outside procedures! I Stated unless they can get it started it’s going nowhere as Watery lane access is so limited and if they had no casters for moving the car we would effectively shut the service bays down. They eventually agreed to look at the car and got it started with a boost pack so I agreed to have the car transferred ro Watery lane.

They gave me a courtesy Q3 and have also diagnosed the battery as the problem, then dropping the 10 day back order bombshell. In short they say dashboard control unit failed now possibly due to the battery issue?? Well battery now arriving on Friday but I’m out of the country Thursday to Sunday so I’ll see what happens.

Well at least I’ve learnt how to manually disengage the handbrake/ gears to allow car to be moved in future that’s if the Electric steering lock can allow steering thanks to the Audi tech at Watery Lane. Not impressed with Listers Solihull glad car back with central Bham Listers, you would have thought they were different companies!

Audi Service has definitely disappointed me so far too. I had an engine management light come on and the car go into limp mode a couple of weeks after collecting it, it was an approved used one less than a year old. The error cleared after a restarted and I figured out that its the cooling fan issue that people have seen on here and was due to the car stop/start being used a lot while I drove through the McDonalds Drive Thru.

I called the local Audi Dealer I was planning on using as the car had come from a dealer some distance away and was told the earliest investigation appointment would be 3 months

I have disabled the auto stop/start now and never seen the issue since.

Cheers for the reply.

Car returned to me today with new battery fitted, let’s see what happens next.

I had the cooling fan stay on two weeks ago on the whole 10 mile journey home from work, started as soon as I got in the car (parked up for 9 hours) didn’t stop until I dropped into local Tescoexpress and left the car for several minutes, it was still on as I walked away, strange as it was about 6 degrees!

Cuke2u thanks for that insight.

Well got the car back yesterday afternoon and since then no faults so hopefully the fix has worked.

I’ll keep you posted!