Audi S5 Buying Advice? (Gearbox & Wheels)

AudiSport

Reaction score
Hey team,

So I’ve decided my next car is going to be an S5 Convertible. I’ve a 10-12k budget, and looking to get something around 2010 with 60-80k miles, and I’ve a few questions:

Firstly, and buying advice or things to check would be much appreciated.

I understand the gearbox, and the early S-tronic is the cars weak point. When was the first, all important service due? 40 or 50k? And, do Audi still support failed boxes, and if not what is a rebuild cost?

I’m not a fan of the early 19” alloys, however the other day I saw an A5 parked up with sold silver 20” rotors, and they looked brilliant - filling the arches and the side profile without looking cheap. Would these have been RS5 alloys or replicas? What ET gives the best fit?

Are there any exhaust mods with replacing the whole system?

Thanks everyone ; )

There may have been a slight variation over the years but I think the latest B8 s-tronic service interval is 38K.

The only way you'll be protected from the cost of gearbox problems is with a warranty, and indeed you'll need to make sure that the car you buy has a confirmed service history since those warranties usually depend on it. Statistically 2009/2010 were the worst build years for s-tronic problems.

Milta has a good reputation - here's their price page (the 'box in question is the 0B5): https://milta.co/automatic-gearbox-repair-pricing/

Reactions: Don's A3 TTu
2009/10 is bang on where I’m looking to buy... Which has put me off massively. I’m now thinking of a change of plan, and going down the 3.0TDi Quattro which gets me in a 2011/12 car...