Audi S3 Saloon OR TT MK3 230PS OR TTS MK3

Graham Mckenzie

Speedking
Reaction score
Hi All

I have an s3 saloon high spec on order and is due very shortly

I am considering cancelling the order and swapping for either the mk3 230 ps stronic or the tts stronic

Is the s3 saloon just as quick as the new mk3

What are your thoughts out there

I'd imagine if practicality was no issue then most people would opt for the TTS. It looks very sharp and the interior is awesome.

If you don't need back seats, TTS everytime.

Lighter and more powerful

Proper matrix LED headlights

edit: although, for similar money, I'd be looking at a Cayman or SLK too !

Last edited:
I would personally stick with the saloon. I've had moments where I'd considered a TT but need the practicality.

Si :)

thanks for all your views

is the tts much quicker than the s3 overall or similar

I think you overthink it when you ask about quickness, it's not just about 0-60, 0-100 and so on.

If you're exclusively about speed then really you need a GT-R or something similar. Even that won't be enough if you come up against a modded Bmw M1..you see the pattern?

Quite strange to go from a 4door to a 2door over speed only, unless I'm missing something..be happy with the S3.

If you don't need the practicality of a salon or SB then it has to be the TTS, every time. I doubt that on real roads there's much in it on real road speed between the new TTS and S3. On a track things may be different. You could easily lose your licence with either (or even in a DS3 come to that).

I don't think it's sensible to pick the one that's theoretically faster. In fact I think that's barking. Pick the one you want.

I think we all know what my answer will be ;) lol

Seriously tho' go for what suits your needs

Which is faster? More down to the ability of the driver than the car with the 3 models you speak of IMHO

I think Audi may have shot themselves in the foot with the pricing of the top end TT's TBH

Mmmmmmm - Mk3 TTS or Cayman? Not a hard one that & it ain't an Audi

Intresting dilema.....

That TTS is a looker for sure but so is the S3 Saloon - IMO the best looking of the 8V range.

If back seats are not a concern then the TT would probably be my choice but mainly because I love the tech on it (TFT screen, heating controls and those beautiful headlights).

Might be wrong but wouldn't a properly specced TTS still be a good £4k-£5k premium over an S3 Saloon? As veeeight says Cayman would be worth sniff.

I might get some abuse for this....but if I had £45k at the moment I'd be looking at an Macan S. :undwech:

Reactions: veeeight
I'd need to put my glasses on to look at a Macan.

ImagesPVMEOXYH

Reactions: Pulp84
I'd be looking at a Cayman

A Cayman has the added bonus of not making you look like someone who wanted to buy a sports car yet didn't care enough to venture out of the Audi dealership. People will innately hate you whilst you drive the Cayman... but it is a far better car!

& after the Golf R appreciation thread ...

... we now have the Cayman appreciation thread :whistle2:

Reactions: mcnallys
Well, it's a very rewarding car :)
Wondered when you would be along ... :D

& agreed the Cayman is a great car :thumbs up:

Now the Cayman I would actualy call at 'drivers car' if there such a thing :think:

Reactions: Pulp84 and Blackwhite
& after the Golf R appreciation thread ...

... we now have the Cayman appreciation thread :whistle2:
]

It's not quite right, don't you have to inform every one they made a huge mistake buying a totally crap car? Which they are so wrong liking.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
April 14 edition of Autocar compares A45 AMG, S3 S-Tronic and M235i against a bog standard Cayman manual. Some snippets below of the testing notes regarding the Cayman....

"The best drive here by a distance. Special"

"It takes a truly great sports car like the Porsche Cayman to shine a spotlight on the M235's deficiencies"

"Porsches steering rack shows Audi and BMW how to execute a flawless, progressive, system - quite conservatively, and with feel".

"The Cayman is barely quick enough to even keep up with the S3"

But because I know you ASN members like a balanced post....I have included below the comments regarding the S3 (which actually gets a very good write up).

"Seeing all the cars side by side - you would expect the Audi to be the priciest option because it looks expensive - like a million dollars in fact" (it's the cheapest on test).

"The S3's slightly lower strung turbo has more natural charm and a more obliging manner (compared to the M235i)"

"The Audi is just as stable but better balanced and more responsive in every way (compared to the A45 AMG)"

"The Audi's cabin is much the nicer, lighter place to be"

"There's a pleasingly sticky, precise front end here, and a rear that's gently mobile when it's unloaded and the ESC is deactivated. Which is about as much as you could hope for, really. Nice work, Audi"

Last edited:
Reactions: veeeight
Here in Australian the TTS will be around $30,000 dearer than the S3 Sportback having the same engine gearbox , very similar performance only slightly bettered by less weight in the TTS why pay all the extra $$$$ for a two seat coupe

Well up to this point, none of us knows what he/she want from a car!

One condition for my getting an S3 sedan was that my wife can get her TT. :)

Had a TT..... a TTS and now an S3 all great cars!

But one has 2 doors and 2 seats the other has 2 doors and 4 seats.... illingworth22 stating the bleedin' obvious ;)

Reactions: Martinbanshee and veeeight
I loved the TTS but it was a bit claustrophobic. I was only really happy with the roadster roof down but then the missus complained about her hair being messed up. I'm loving the feeling of space in the S3 with silver headlining and pano roof. Don't think I would ever go back to a 2 seater, even if practicality wasn't an issue.