Audi S3 - bang, no power steering, alternater light lit - you won't believe why!

eddyg

Reaction score
So I left work yesterday in my Audi S3, and then 2mins later I heard a big bang from the front and lost power steering and the alternater light lit up on the dash. So I pulled over, had a good look under the car and under the hood. Couldn't see anything wrong. So drove the car back to work (with great difficulty due to no power steering) and took the bus home.

The next day I took the car to the mechanic, they agreed with me that the serpentine belt must have snapped (which annoyed me a lot since the belts were all done 6 months ago). A couple of hours later I drop in to check on progress. They had finished and the car was working perfectly again. However the head mechanic wanted a word with me (with the rest of the mechanics hovering close by). He explained that the belt was OK it had just come off. And the reason for it coming off is clear in the following line item from the invoice:

5258-1421820258-abc222c617304372ea1e4a94dc3c6370.jpg

He said that it took him 30mins with pliers to extract the body parts from the belt, it was not pretty. It must have crept into the car whilst it was parked at work.

That cat wont be doing that again!

Reactions: irowpod, Nilz, Jake 61 and 1 other person
Quite common to have a cat up inside the working parts, they go for the heat.
Our yard cat, "Boots", is always doing it, although he is smart enough to bale out when he hears a door shutting....!

Whoa!!!!

Second time in a matter of days I have heard something like this happen.

Go and find the owner and bill them for the job! I'm sure they'll be happy! :D

Reactions: DieselJake
That's bouncing wouldn't have been picking at no bits of a dead cat would have bought a new belt. Least then your labour wouldn't have been £71 seen a dead kitten in an engine bay before they go to the heat as said above