Audi S3 8V tyre option

globet1

Reaction score
Thought this might be of some use to those looking at tyre options for their S3s. I have an S3 Sportback with the visco-electric shocks option. I've run it for 3 years as a company car on lease, retired last year and have bought the car - best car I've driven (actually given the drive select options it' probably the best 2 cars I've driven). . I'm planning to tweak the S3 with a Revo Stage 1 remap and air intake system. The leasing company OK'd a change of tyres at their expense when I took over ownership. I just moved to a small country town and was thinking about winter conditions where I live. I'd seen a number of good reviews of Michelin's Crossclimate Plus tyres as a year-round option and decided to give them a shot. Original tyres were Bridgestone Turanza T005 225/40R 18 92 Y) Michelin CrossClimate Plus 225/40 R 18 92Y.
I did see various on-line comments on year-round tyres, generally warnings about compromising on safety and performance on the road in dry summer conditions - I concluded that anyone who couldn't control an S3 on public roads in dry summer conditions at any achievable speed on perfectly good rubber probably shouldn't be driving (and heaven help them in the wet).
Rant over - back to the CrossClimates. Due to the unusually (or inevitably, depending on your point of view) high temperatures this winter I haven't had the chance to get on to snow. What I can say is that there are some noticeable improvements over the Bridgestones.
  • The CrossClimates are significantly quieter than the Bridgestones on all surfaces; I was amazed at the difference.
  • The grip on wet and muddy roads is really impressive. The 4wd is of course fantastic on its own, but these tyres give an even greater sense of security when cornering in the wet.
  • I did wonder whether the greater flexibility would make the car feel less precise at speed, but I have to say I couldn't detect any downside, and the ride on rougher roads was improved slightly in "dynamic" mode. Appropriate CrossClimate alternative may be of interest to those on 19" rims.
Would like to hear from anyone who's got a view/experience on S3 tyre choices.

Reactions: Phutters
The S3 is a high performance tyre. Stick high performance tyres on it.

The cross climate tyre is a compromise tyre. Fine if you potter about, but if you drive it quickly, then the difference (not just grip) will show.

Just my opinion

I'm not sure what defines a "high performance" tyre? Auto Bild ran a test on various "year round" tyres against their "reference" summer tyre. In dry grip the CrossClimate had dry breaking distance of 40.8m v 39 m for the reference tyre, and in dry handling test (based on average speed on a handling course) the Cross Climate achieved 107.9 kph v 110.6 kph for the reference. So yes there's a slight compromise, but the Audi-original fit Bridgestones and the CrossClimates have the same profile, speed and load rating.

Reactions: Phutters
I'm not sure what defines a "high performance" tyre? Auto Bild ran a test on various "year round" tyres against their "reference" summer tyre. In dry grip the CrossClimate had dry breaking distance of 40.8m v 39 m for the reference tyre, and in dry handling test (based on average speed on a handling course) the Cross Climate achieved 107.9 kph v 110.6 kph for the reference. So yes there's a slight compromise, but the Audi-original fit Bridgestones and the CrossClimates have the same profile, speed and load rating.

For most I think tyres like the cross climates will be fine possibly excellent but I’m one of those who like driving hard/fast on twisty/windy roads up in the highlands so want the best at all times so I run a set of summers in the warmer months and winter tyres in the colder months.
What a lot of these test don’t show is what happens when there’s too much heat in a tyre. A high performance tyre are designed to manage heat better than an all season tyre and works at higher temps better. With an all season or winter after a couple of hard brakes or prolonged enthusiastic driving the tyre will get soft and lack grip especially in the summer months.
That 2m difference in braking will feel like a mile if you are heading towards a hedge or animal.
Every tyre is a compromise. In an ideal world we would have a pit crew waiting for tyre changes when the weather changes.
What everyone needs to figure out is how they drive their cars, power and climate they drive in and pick a tyre that suits them or even multiple sets for different time’s of the year.
Load/speed rating is only tests a small part of the tyre. A £40 ditch finder isn’t going to perform as well as a £200 Michelin/Pirelli/good year with the same speed rating

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
I have CrossClimates on my winter 17s, I do a good mix of rural, motorway, and London they are good all round tyres, but a noticeable difference from the P-Zeros. The CrossClimates lose traction whilst pulling away much more often with the instant torque from the electric motor. I think they make a good compromise in all situations though.

The Michelin Crossclimate is not available in Canada or the USA which are where all season tyres rule, and that speaks volumes, and is listed in Europe as an all season "luxury" tyre by Michelin. I am sure they will be fine as a compromise all season tyre tyre. I live in Vancouver and have Conti DWS-06 ultra high performance all season tyres. They are a really great tyre, great performance in rain and up to 3-4" of snow,or deeper, if you know how to drive in snow. Are they as good as what I use to run, winter tyres in the winter and high performance tyres in the summer...N0..... but they are not far behind.
Brits and Europeans have disdain for all season tyres and winter tyres and do not bother in many cases to fit tyres for the different seasons. 1" of snow will cause chaos on most UK roads, as you do not have a clue how to drive in those conditions and most of the cars are shod in summer tyres which do not preform in temperatures lower than 7 C
My relatives in the Inverness area run snow/winter tyres

Reactions: AlS3BE
As Flying Scotsman commented, all tyres are a compromise. I went for the CrossClimate Plus because from my perspective they will be more than adequate for any fast driving I do - I'm never likely to get close to their limit (and not sure that many would) on UK roads. There is a minor downside on dry breaking distance (about 2m extra compared with a summer reference tyre) but in another Auto Bild tyre test on summer tyres in which they included CrossClimate Plus for comparison the wet breaking distance was better than all of the summer tyres and 22m less than Bridgestone Turanza. Given UK summer weather I'm happy with the CrossClimate Plus. Surprisingly in the same test they also came out marginally better on DRY handling than the Bridgestones...

As Flying Scotsman commented, all tyres are a compromise. I went for the CrossClimate Plus because from my perspective they will be more than adequate for any fast driving I do - I'm never likely to get close to their limit (and not sure that many would) on UK roads. There is a minor downside on dry breaking distance (about 2m extra compared with a summer reference tyre) but in another Auto Bild tyre test on summer tyres in which they included CrossClimate Plus for comparison the wet breaking distance was better than all of the summer tyres and 22m less than Bridgestone Turanza. Given UK summer weather I'm happy with the CrossClimate Plus. Surprisingly in the same test they also came out marginally better on DRY handling than the Bridgestones...
Sorry that should have been 12m less than the Bridgestones, not 22m - good but not that good...:)

My S3 came with factory PZeros which I found to be a decent Tyre and with the best rim protection I’ve ever seen on a Tyre!! Changed all 4 tyres at 19k I think, decided to go for Michelin PS4 which have zero rim protection.... but so far I’m finding them far superior in every way (wet/dry grip and noise). Only have 18’s otherwise would have purchased PS4s if you have 19” wheels. Anyway, great Tyre and paid only £80/corner on a Black Circles deal.

Reactions: wab172uk
My S3 came with factory PZeros which I found to be a decent Tyre and with the best rim protection I’ve ever seen on a Tyre!! Changed all 4 tyres at 19k I think, decided to go for Michelin PS4 which have zero rim protection.... but so far I’m finding them far superior in every way (wet/dry grip and noise). Only have 18’s otherwise would have purchased PS4s if you have 19” wheels. Anyway, great Tyre and paid only £80/corner on a Black Circles deal.

I had PS4S's on my S3. Great tyre