Audi S3 8L 2001 Starting issues

Audi32001

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2001 S3 8L recently bought. Has been running fine until last night where as I was pulling up at home it just cut out. Tried to start the car again but won't fire up however it does at time attempt to. I've plugged it into my obd reader but nothings come up. Any idea what could be causing this? Any help would be massively appreciated..

Check your fuses for signs of any issues first. My fuel pump fuse kept failing causing starting issues but it could be a multitude of things. When was the fuel filter last changed ?( under the drivers side half way along the underbody )- easy to do but often neglected

Reactions: mephisto
If the car starts on carb cleaner you’ve got a fuel delivery issue. Maybe fuel pump if you’ve not changed that before? My original lasted about ten years. The replacement is still going strong though (for now….). You can easily remove the rear seat squabs and access the pump through the tank opening.

How about the obvious - dead battery or alternator not charging the battery?
Note: Juts re-read your comments, it does attempt to fire up sometimes - how about loose battery cabling?