1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

audi b6 cabrio 2.5tdi wont start . can you normally hear fuel pump in tank

steve elliott Apr 21, 2020

1. steve elliott

steve elliott New Member

Hi Guys cars been sitting for a while tried to start it the other day ,just turns over.No smoke so definetely fuel problem . I cant hear the fuel pump in tank when i switch ign on. Is this normal?
    I pulled the plug off top of tank put a multi meter between brown and green/yelow wire ,and i have power but only in start position .Seems to suggest power only goes to low pressure pump when in start position is this right ? . This would mean i wont hear it , if it is working as sound is drowned out by engine cranking
    Any ideas ?
    Cheers Guys

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member

I can only say that I have never heard a pump when starting my Avant or just with ignition on.Hope you fix it

4. steve elliott

steve elliott New Member

Thanks Mike . is yours a 2.5 v6 diesel ?

5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member

It is and its often sat for weeks and then starts first time.

6. steve elliott

steve elliott New Member

Well another foo pah ,as i didnt do the basics .ie crack off the inj pipes! After a few seconds bubbles appeared ,then fuel .secured them and away it went . Dont know why but it appears fuel has dropped back to the tank,despite it having over half a tank . I had drove it out of the garage 3 weeks ago to give it some tlc .It started immediately after sitting in garage for over 6 months . Incidentally tank pump only gets power in start position oddly .ie no priming prior to attempting to start,as is more common i think . I got the missus to turn the key while i listened with a stethoscope .whirring away! .Thats when i cracked off the injectors . Live and learn etc .

7. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member

It did sound like air in the fuel line.It might have a leak somewhere which can be hard to trace but strange if it was ok before

8. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member

Are the spill pipes ok?

9. steve elliott

steve elliott New Member

Yes was definitely air in system .How it got there is a mystery .It has got 2 what look like aftermarket non return valves in fuel lines, under bonnet ,so maybe its had issues historically !

Attached Files:

• nrv.jpg
      nrv.jpg
      File size:
      121.6 KB
      Views: