Facelift Audi Assist.... Again

The Kendragon

Reaction score
Hi all,

Earlier my A3 would not start. You'd turn the key but it would be really stiff and not start the engine. The MMI would come up a little bit before disappearing back into the dash. After five minutes this solved itself (like the other three times it has happened) and I drove away!

Now I'm at a services... The car's handbrake will not engage when the car is in neutral. As soon as you lift up on the clutch the handbrake turns off :( The only way around it is to put the handbrake on, go into neural, turn the car off and then release the clutch. This hasn't happened before but it seems like releasing the clutch is causing a power surge in the engine.

Nightmare!

Steven

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Mark_86
Update:
Audi Assist sent the AA out and they diagnosed 21 system faults all relating to the CAN BUS system. I have a workaround for the handbrake (that they suggested) but I'm definetly booking it in ASAP :(

Sounds horrendous mate. Hope you get sorted soon as there's nothing worse than intermittent faults especially as serious as that

That sounds like a wiring fault like a short circuit somewhere or the ECU has just lunched itself.

Sounds horrendous mate. Hope you get sorted soon as there's nothing worse than intermittent faults especially as serious as that
It's not great for a £20,000+ car! I'll be calling Audi tomorrow to get it booked in somewhere and to sort a loan car... Such a pain though :tired:
That sounds like a wiring fault like a short circuit somewhere or the ECU has just lunched itself.
I was thinking that mate but who knows :/ The system faults were related to:
Rear LHS ABS sensor
Rear RHS ABS sensor
Engine power module sensor
Electromechanical handbrake sensor
Cruise control speed sensor
.... Plus 16 others! :cry:

Pretty much all the failures were related to a miscommunication with the CAN BUS system so Audi can have a look at it :triumph:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
It's not great for a £20,000+ car! I'll be calling Audi tomorrow to get it booked in somewhere and to sort a loan car... Such a pain though :tired:

I was thinking that mate but who knows :/ The system faults were related to:
Rear LHS ABS sensor
Rear RHS ABS sensor
Engine power module sensor
Electromechanical handbrake sensor
Cruise control speed sensor
.... Plus 16 others! :cry:

Pretty much all the failures were related to a miscommunication with the CAN BUS system so Audi can have a look at it :triumph:

Expect a 3-4 week wait for a routine appointment with Audi.

You should have arranged for the AA to recover it and get a hire car instantly. You can claim the car is unsafe with potential ABS faults and you shouldn't be tricking the handbrake into working.

Reactions: TDI-line and Audi Bairn
What @AudiNutta said. Get AA back out and they'll have you into the hire car the same day... I wouldn't drive that with all those faults on it mate.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and AudiNutta
What @AudiNutta said. Get AA back out and they'll have you into the hire car the same day... I wouldn't drive that with all those faults on it mate.

You won't have any trouble, if they say it's safe then just ask for that in writing and they will back down. You will have the car taken on a transporter and a hire car delivered to you within a couple of hours (don't expect it to be an Audi however). But, you jump the 1 month queue and the car goes in as a breakdown, to be seen ASAP.

Do you have to sign up to Audi assist or is it automatic. Nothing was mentioned about it when the car was handed over. Touring Scotland the week after next so would like to have it in place.

What's happened today:
The car has been booked in for 13th September for two days but they may need it for longer. It's being serviced at the same time and they'll clean it.... The bad thing is due to my age and the fact I've had my license for less than 12 months, they won't give me a courtesy car like they do for every other customer :(

Do you have to sign up to Audi assist or is it automatic. Nothing was mentioned about it when the car was handed over. Touring Scotland the week after next so would like to have it in place.
Audi Assist is automatically linked to your registration number. You get it for free for three years with a new vehicle :)

Reactions: Djs3saloon and Audi Bairn

Where you heading Chris? If it's anywhere I know, happy to give any tips...... unless you already know the places well already of course :hi:

Bath Audi did suggest calling the AA back out and following your advice @AudiNutta @Mark_86 but the age issue means it won't be possible. I'm going to complain to Audi UK though and get it sorted as it's age discrimination at its finest :rage:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Mark_86
Where you heading Chris? If it's anywhere I know, happy to give any tips...... unless you already know the places well already of course :hi:

I'm embarrassed to admit in my 47 years on this planet I've only spent the odd day in Scotland, i.e. Edinburgh and Glasgow despite in only being a couple of hours up the M6 from home.

We have a log cabin booked on the shore of Loch Tay to use as a base.We don't have an agenda for the week so any tips or great places to see would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to the scenery and generally relaxing for a week.

Bath Audi did suggest calling the AA back out and following your advice @AudiNutta @Mark_86 but the age issue means it won't be possible. I'm going to complain to Audi UK though and get it sorted as it's age discrimination at its finest :rage:

Do it, the AA HAVE to get you a courtesy car. Audi won't be able to give you one until you are 21, but if you call the breakdown they can.

Call them back out, tell them you aren't happy the car is safe and you want it recovered which they have to do. They will put you in touch with the replacement vehicle team at Audi UK who will have a car delivered to you in a matter of hours. It won't be an Audi, it will be whatever Europcar can give to you and this will likely be a car with a maximum capacity of 1.6 litres like I had.

But then when mine was gone long term, a fight was put up and they insured me on an S3.... you won't get one of those though I'm afraid.

Trust me on this, just call them or else you will just suffer without a car.

Reactions: Mark_86
Do it, the AA HAVE to get you a courtesy car. Audi won't be able to give you one until you are 21, but if you call the breakdown they can.

Call them back out, tell them you aren't happy the car is safe and you want it recovered which they have to do. They will put you in touch with the replacement vehicle team at Audi UK who will have a car delivered to you in a matter of hours. It won't be an Audi, it will be whatever Europcar can give to you and this will likely be a car with a maximum capacity of 1.6 litres like I had.

But then when mine was gone long term, a fight was put up and they insured me on an S3.... you won't get one of those though I'm afraid.

Trust me on this, just call them or else you will just suffer without a car.
Okay, I'll try this tomorrow and see what happens. Currently battling with Audi UK and getting nowhere :angry: I've been given a new A4 before by Oxford Audi so I'm not sure why Bath Audi is so different....

Reactions: AudiNutta
I'm embarrassed to admit in my 47 years on this planet I've only spent the odd day in Scotland, i.e. Edinburgh and Glasgow despite in only being a couple of hours up the M6 from home.

We have a log cabin booked on the shore of Loch Tay to use as a base.We don't have an agenda for the week so any tips or great places to see would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to the scenery and generally relaxing for a week.

Great choice, were up that way loads. I'll have a wee think and DM you mate. Loads of stuff to do up there and some great roads too.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
Okay, I'll try this tomorrow and see what happens. Currently battling with Audi UK and getting nowhere :angry: I've been given a new A4 before by Oxford Audi so I'm not sure why Bath Audi is so different....

They gave you an S4 didn't they? Remembering what you said.

Audi always have the insurance to support you, it's a case of whether they want to put themselves in a high risk position or not.

They gave you an S4 didn't they? Remembering what you said.

Audi always have the insurance to support you, it's a case of whether they want to put themselves in a high risk position or not.
I can't remember, just know it was from the 4 range :tearsofjoy: Audi have fobbed me off onto Bath Audi so they will be looking into it. It seems to vary by dealer as to who they can insure. I feel it should be the same for all dealers, you own an Audi you get one!

Reactions: Mark_86 and AudiNutta
So Bath Audi have just called me after I complained to Audi UK.

They've decided to give me an Audi (1.4 engine maximum) for the two/three days that the car is in the workshop :) Social media complaints are the way to go people!

Reactions: Mark_86
So Bath Audi have just called me after I complained to Audi UK.

They've decided to give me an Audi (1.4 engine maximum) for the two/three days that the car is in the workshop :) Social media complaints are the way to go people!

But you are still driving a dangerous car with compromised braking systems for the next 2 weeks, I give up :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: The Kendragon and Mark_86