Audi A7 3.0 TDi 272 - Timing Chain Tensioner

gmcc12

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a 2017 or 2018 Audi A7 3.0 TDi 272bhp black edition.
I have been researching for any common problems with this model/engine and there are a few mentions online of issues with rattles from the timing chain due to worn tensioners.
Has this issue been resolved with the later 2017/2018 3.0 TDi 272 engines?

I also came across some s-tronic gearbox issues. Is this gearbox generally ok if serviced correctly?
Any feedback or comments would be great.

think its a bit of a scare story
chains are meant to be good for 200k
the early 3.0 ( maybey 2.7 and 4.2 as well??? )were revised to different number of chains and continuous improvements to manifold flaps system etc etc as time went on , i cant remember the ins and outs as i researched it a few years ago when i had my 08 plate q7 with CASA engine and my CUDC i have now has lots of differences.

I was always told if you can hear the chain rattle at cold start then it goes quiet then your fine.
if the rattle doesnt stop and gets louder over time then its time to get it checked.
i have also never heard of anyone that any of the chains have snapped.

Also use of good oil and servicing on time goes a long way with the chain and the turbo life

regards stronic
yes ive heard mechatronics fail but a transmission shop i use tell me the stronic oil and filter changes regular on time( 39k )and these wont carry contaminants round the system and prove to be a reliable box if you dont do regular launches.
as i enquired about my dl501 when i bought the car to put my mind at rest after seeing the same stories on the internet.

think its a bit of a scare story
chains are meant to be good for 200k
the early 3.0 ( maybey 2.7 and 4.2 as well??? )were revised to different number of chains and continuous improvements to manifold flaps system etc etc as time went on , i cant remember the ins and outs as i researched it a few years ago when i had my 08 plate q7 with CASA engine and my CUDC i have now has lots of differences.

I was always told if you can hear the chain rattle at cold start then it goes quiet then your fine.
if the rattle doesnt stop and gets louder over time then its time to get it checked.
i have also never heard of anyone that any of the chains have snapped.

Also use of good oil and servicing on time goes a long way with the chain and the turbo life

regards stronic
yes ive heard mechatronics fail but a transmission shop i use tell me the stronic oil and filter changes regular on time( 39k )and these wont carry contaminants round the system and prove to be a reliable box if you dont do regular launches.
as i enquired about my dl501 when i bought the car to put my mind at rest after seeing the same stories on the internet.
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail. Really appreciate it.
Any issues with 3.0 TDI timing chains seem to be pre-2015 and I have seen some information online that Audi updated the tensioners over the years as you say.
S-tronic gearbox issues seem to be rare enough also if the gearbox is serviced correctly.
Looking forward to owning an A7 now!

Reactions: +robster+a7+tdi
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail. Really appreciate it.
Any issues with 3.0 TDI timing chains seem to be pre-2015 and I have seen some information online that Audi updated the tensioners over the years as you say.
S-tronic gearbox issues seem to be rare enough also if the gearbox is serviced correctly.
Looking forward to owning an A7 now!
Looks as if my timing chain is starting to rattle only covered 59,000 miles full service history (some Audi) booked in next month at Audi to be investigated £216
After looking into this issue Audi know that a fault is with oil fed plunger and have made modifications to that part, my car is a 2014 plate but in very good condition, so my question is if I require a new timing chain, that is the engine out at who know how much, should Audi pay some of the costs as the faults is know and been fixed by them, let me know your thoughts.
Audi A7 CRTD engine 272hp S line Black edition.