Audi A4 TDIE - Low MPG?

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I think the MPG on our car is too low.
We're driving carefully and it's get 46.6mpg (worked out at the pumps) This is less MPG than my tractor engine Leon FR!

All temps on the dash are fine and no faults showing on VCDS.

It's because that model is the Eco version.
You will only get decent economy and low emissions on a rolling road............

Which version do you have? That sounds about right according to this:
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/audi/a4-b8-2008/20-tdie-136

One thing to not that I have found. My A4 is faster than all other cars I have driven when comparing actual speed to speedo-reported speed. For example my Volvo and my previous A4 would actually be travelling about 65mph when the speedo read 70 (confirmed via GPS). My new A4 is actually doing about 69mph when travelling at 70 on the speedo. This makes a bit of difference with mpg figures, not as much as they are out mind you but it is some consolation at least.

Speed makes sense I suppose.
It's disgusting how low the MPG is compared to what they claim.

haha!
I wish. I've just had to get rid of my 2.5 A4 cause of the cost of fuel lol
On a serious note I think the DPF has a lot to do with the relatively poor economy of recent diesels. Our 2008 VW Jetta happily does 60+mpg as it has no DPF. Is your Leon a pre-DPF model?

Oh and just to prove the S4 figures are also fiction I dug out the brochure:

Urban: 28mpg
Extra urban: 45.6mpg
Combined: 36.7mpg

My current, 2015 average is 25.8mpg (measured not DIS).

Oh and just to prove the S4 figures are also fiction I dug out the brochure:

Urban: 28mpg
Extra urban: 45.6mpg
Combined: 36.7mpg

My current, 2015 average is 25.8mpg (measured not DIS).
Ouch! But I bet it's fun! Is it a 3.0TT in the new S4?

On a serious note I think the DPF has a lot to do with the relatively poor economy of recent diesels. Our 2008 VW Jetta happily does 60+mpg as it has no DPF. Is your Leon a pre-DPF model?
Nah it's DPF 170bhp model. Time to smash out the internals of a couple of DPF's me think.

Reactions: TahirS
Ouch! But I bet it's fun! Is it a 3.0TT in the new S4?

Yep love it. My one (June 2014) is 3.0 V6 supercharged. The new one is going to be turbo charged apparently. There's more about it on the B9 forum, if you are interested pop over and have a read.

Reactions: AudiLeon
Second the dpf and even egr and cat, since these will make it easier to drive and make less effort to drive. Of course it's your choice but I would

I am getting dpf and egr delete done later this week so will report my hopefully much better mpg. I have a 2008 2.7 tdi auto

Reactions: scotty76
Well after a few tank fills.
46.6mpg
48mpg
49mpg.

Since then, we've fitted an CRDe DTUK box, the economy one.
Run a tank through and we have got 49mpg again :|

Well after a few tank fills.
46.6mpg
48mpg
49mpg.

Since then, we've fitted an CRDe DTUK box, the economy one.
Run a tank through and we have got 49mpg again :|

Getting slightly better, but beware that winter diesel may lower your economy again over the colder months. As for the remap, I have yet to see any strong evidence that any map improves efficiency. Yes, they can give more power, but I haven't seen a single bit of proof that shows that they increase economy.

It's well known that the TDi has poor mpg! There are plenty of threads about it on here! In fact the TFSi model gets the SAME mpg as the TDi in the B8.

Strange, my 2013 A4 which is the same as yours, is now getting between 55-60mpg on my 35 mile motorway commute, These are DIS figures, but I did brim to brim and it wasn't far out.
Yours is 2011 so presuming pre-facelift, mine is a facelift. So maybe they made a few changes? but I would have thought it should be pretty much similar

Not sure Greg, filled it up today and it was 41mpg. Been driving like miss daisy recently as I have a new born in the car.
Any more of this and it's going. Utterly awful.

That is very low. I filled up today and got just under 44mpg for the tank. I was on for 535 miles for the tank

Yeah something isn't right. Got 50mpg in winter and I kept getting told it will improve with summer diesel.
It's got worse.