Audi A4 2007 Avant 170 2.0 TDI - coil light - EMS light - limp mode - smoke

Mikeowling

It's my birthday
Reaction score
Hi, so this is my first post and need some advice, owned the car for last 3 years, replaced engine after 6 months, car has always smoked a bit but I think this is down tot he remap, recently went in for MOT and all was good, on return was advised it needed a new battery, had that changes and now the following has happened...

Electronic stabilisation programme light came on and coil light and car goes into limp mode and smoke like a steam train when I put my foot down (prior to the lights coming on it didn't smoke anymore than normal)

Changed crankshaft sensor and throttle sensor as that seemed a common issue

Took it out after picking it up today from garage, did 20 miles and it started again, this time the fault doesn't go when I restart engine.

However, when I looked just now, coil light is permanently flashing and engine management light is now on, and car does the smokey limp mode thing.

I'm stumped, this wasn't an issue beforeand it only seems to have started since the battery was changed, they test drove it before the MOT and battery change (had suspension done) and they said how sweet it was running.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated if anyone else has had this problem

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Mike, my understanding is that the battery may need coding in when replaced - has this been done?
Secondly my EGR failed some time ago (same car/engine) and gave me similar issues but stopped working completely not long after limp mode/coil light & smoke started.

Hi, The battery change on a B7 does not need re-coding, I changed mine no problem.
Disconnecting the battery can cause some issues, like keys not working etc. The ESP light should go out when you start to drive,
You need to run VCDS to clear all faults and then test again.

Reactions: AvantMike