audi a3 8p cabriolet boot leak

Rusty123@

Reaction score
hi, I would appreciate any advice owners could give me regarding a leak in the boot.
in the passenger side rear quarter near the rear brake light cluster water is gathering, sometimes just a mm or two of water, other times travelling along the carpet up to the rear seat.
I have been told there are tubes and valves which need to be cleared as they get road dirt in them over time, I can't be sure where they are for the life of me.
I have laid in the back of the car with a friend spraying water on the back of the car and couldn't find any water coming in anywhere near the lights, rear break light or seals or windows.
the water only appears when it rains, and drains into the spare wheel area.
people also talk about trays that gather water under the roof, not sure how to easily get to them, any advice very gratefully appreciated.

hi, I would appreciate any advice owners could give me regarding a leak in the boot.
in the passenger side rear quarter near the rear brake light cluster water is gathering, sometimes just a mm or two of water, other times travelling along the carpet up to the rear seat.
I have been told there are tubes and valves which need to be cleared as they get road dirt in them over time, I can't be sure where they are for the life of me.
I have laid in the back of the car with a friend spraying water on the back of the car and couldn't find any water coming in anywhere near the lights, rear break light or seals or windows.
the water only appears when it rains, and drains into the spare wheel area.
people also talk about trays that gather water under the roof, not sure how to easily get to them, any advice very gratefully appreciated.
Hi I’m just wondering did you get this fixed or find out where the leak was coming from. Thanks

I had the same problem early last year with my sisters 2011 A3 cabriolet , water was pooling in the spare wheel well, so much so that it was like a swimming pool in there!
Checked out the hood drain at each side of car (it was completely clear) and after looking extensively on the internet it became apparent that there is a ventilation grille on each side of the car at the rear located behind the bumper which is meant to allow stale air to exit the car (they have hinged rubber flaps) but not let water in…….
It appears to be a common fault on Mk6/Mk7 Golf derivatives (both hatchback & convertibles) in that these grilles can allow water in, mainly because they’re just clipped into the bodyshell aperture ; there are several YouTube videos describing how to get at the grilles.
The rear bumper was duly removed and grilles replaced (even sealing them to bodywork with Tigerseal to prevent any way water could get in)……..only for the water leaks to continue!!!
I should add that I also removed/refitted all the the rear lights to check their seals and they were fine!
At this stage I gave up and the only way to keep on top of things was to regularly sponge-out the spare wheel well….
Fast forward a few months and in the intense summer heat we had the rear window became unbonded!
I can only surmise that despite everything looking OK, the actual fault all along had been the rear window sealing!
The glass rear window is only glued to the outer hood skin and despite looking fully sealed had obviously been allowing water into the boot for ages.
After I had re-sealed the rear glass with Tigerseal, am pleased to report that the car boot has remained bone dry.
I’d suggest you examine those grilles & rear glass.
Have added some pics to show the work I did.

Attachments

• 1A2DF128-FEDD-4D62-A9D7-9D389B4F9ABA.png
    1A2DF128-FEDD-4D62-A9D7-9D389B4F9ABA.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 103
  • CD84FE40-0CD0-4B08-A051-7EC8EF19C401.png
    CD84FE40-0CD0-4B08-A051-7EC8EF19C401.png
    3 MB · Views: 96
  • 90F39829-8BFF-4C9C-90C6-E538BB98AA6C.png
    90F39829-8BFF-4C9C-90C6-E538BB98AA6C.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Reactions: ch1z64