Audi A3 3.2 V6 engine trouble (idle stutter on cold start)

digikam

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been getting a slight issue with cold starts on my Audi A3 3.2

Basically the idle will start stuttering after 5 minutes or so and the car/engine will be shaking (seems like its choking). The problem goes away when I slightly rev the engine.

The car drives perfect and no warning lights displayed, although full service is due on the car. Check this video out, I have captured the problem on my phone:

I hope I am not looking at a hefty price for fixing this! Your comments will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like its just not on cold start. now it happens even when engine is warmed up. actually shakes even more! ah this is bugging me. lets see what happens after service. i just hope its got nothing to do with the timing chain.

Doesn't sound too audible, but clearly something showing on the tacho - possibly an issue with the instruments?

Do you have any other issues? I ask because mine feels a little lumpy when cold, though the tacho needle doesn't show anything, and I do have a hesitation at around 2k when pulling away before it's warmed up. Possibly similar symptoms :huh:

Doesn't sound too audible, but clearly something showing on the tacho - possibly an issue with the instruments?

Do you have any other issues? I ask because mine feels a little lumpy when cold, though the tacho needle doesn't show anything, and I do have a hesitation at around 2k when pulling away before it's warmed up. Possibly similar symptoms :huh:

sound quality not that great in vid. engine deffo sounds like its choking and the car does shake. not getting any other issues.

im at amd essex atm getting service done. they have identified the problem. the issue is to do with the downpipe flexi and cats, there is a leak so that needs replacing.

i have been quoted 1200 for parts and labour.

anyone have any idea where i can get the downpipe flexi and cats part from
? id rather take it to my mates garage in order to save on labour.

im at amd essex atm getting service done. they have identified the problem. the issue is to do with the downpipe flexi and cats, there is a leak so that needs replacing.

i have been quoted 1200 for parts and labour.

anyone have any idea where i can get the downpipe flexi and cats part from
? id rather take it to my mates garage in order to save on labour.

Need there be a better excuse to get a full stainless steel system?

Could probably fit an exhaust system yourself if you got a set of spanners/sockets with a ratchet.

Need there be a better excuse to get a full stainless steel system?

Could probably fit an exhaust system yourself if you got a set of spanners/sockets with a ratchet.

good point! will look around for a new system, any good brands out there?

You have a choice of 2, a milltek or a scorpion one, neither are listed for the Audi, they're only listed for the mk5 golf r32. I've done a lot of looking in the past. Blueflame were also doing one but not sure if it's available yet.

I've got a split flexi as well, audi haven't designed it to be easy to remove and from what I'm told it comes all as one with manifolds, flexis and cats, keeps the price nice and high. The scorpion exhaust comes as separate pieces, that's what I've got buy not fitted yet.

Last edited: