Audi A3 1.9TDI 2004 - Losing Power in 5th Gear and cutting out randomly

parin

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive got an audi a3 1.9tdi 2004 which I bought last year with 58,000 on the clock, since then have done 2 full services (with all filters replaced and timing belt change at 62,000). All genuine parts used and fitted by a reputable garage.

Just got the last full service done a month ago at 72,000 miles.

Last week the car just cut out while I was driving, and wouldnt crank up. I waited 5 minutes, cranked it up again, and it worked so I drove it, everything worked until I took it on the motroway and it started to loose power in 5th gear and wouldnt go past 70. I assumed its going into limp mode.

On my return journey the car cut out again and wouldnt crank up at all now even after 30 minutes. So i phone AA, he said therers no fuel in the tank but it was 75% full, so we put in 10 pounds of diesel and he put some engine cleaner, this got the car started.

He left me report saying suspected relay or fuel pump fault. So i left it back at my garage, they confirmed it was fuel pump and replaced it costing me 200 including parts labour. Got the car back driving it around like normal no problem on motorway, and when the car started getting close to the 75% fuel mark it started showing the same problems :(.

When i was drviing locally it cut out last night it cut out again on the main road and just wouldnt crank up. Got recovery to drop it back at the garage. (again it cut out at 75% fuel mark) Im quite sure its not a faulty fuel gauge as I actually had that much diesel left in the tank before the problems started.

Now the garage is saying they will look into it again.

Im just worried theyre going to repair it again with another part its going to cost me a fortune and the problem will still persist.

Oh and nothing is coming up on the VAG Com :(.

Just wondering if anyone can pin point something from the above to help me get this sorted.

I am only 20 paying hell of alot on insurance and now this is hurting my pockets, I am just thinking of ebaying the car cutting my losses and surely will be able to recover 2k and buy a toyota as my dad has always suggested lol.

Any suggestion will be appreciated, sorry about the long essay, just very sad times.

Last edited:
Relay or ignition switch..! Intermittant problems are a bitch, if the damn thing would stop all together you could fix it. Good luck.