anyone seen a write up on changing the rad on a b5?

ScottyP45

Reaction score
I want to get it done the easiest and quickest route but as usual it looks awkward unless you know the wee tips....not like rads of old with just 2 topside clips and a couple of jubjub clips....

Does the slam panel trim need removed, or the whole front into the service position? Used the search and not found anything remotely useful.

Got a new rad on its way from fleabay uk seller, nice only £37 so will do me the now and looks identical to the ECP one at £55.

Should be ok on just the electric 2nd fan eh? thought about leaving viscous fan off to free a wee bit power as it used to overcool anyway when idle, might refit one, dont know whats best.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a really easy job, did mine whilst I was doing the timing belt. It's all self explanatory a it comes apart. Bottom hose clip was the worst bit.

nice one mate, ta. Fed up breaking a stupid tab off or something when trying to remove a bit from an audi cos if 3 bolts will hold something, they fit 5 and hide 4 of them lol

ha ha sounds like me then I hate taking ****** bumpers off. Do you need the bumper off tho to pull the rad out? Just wondering before I get set to tackle it. Sounds stupid I know, but I usually fly an oscilloscope not a spanner so I tend to overthink mechanical problems I reckon before going ahead, and apart from the odd skint knuckle I usually get there but like to see how the innards of something come out before I start.

Next job is to tackle the injection pump head seal :(

Theres spring clip things that hold the pipes onto the rad end tanks. Get yourself some spares, as they'll be rusty and will likely disintegrate when you remove them, leaving you with no way to put the pipes back on.

ah excellent info there aragorn, I take it that the usual jubilee clips dont work then and its a kinda slip-joint with a locking slot then?

I changed mine over the summer, I have the orig audi workshop manuals for the car, there is a step by step guide on the rad change, if you email me on alex.leighton88@gmail.com I can send you the PDF file

ah cheers mate, it was a doddle when I found out how the bumper comes off, only prob now is theres a horrible grumbly rattle coming from the front after a couple of days, either the aux belt tensioner, the water pump / visc fan coupler or the alternator......anyone know if the viscous part driven by the aux belt is actually attached to the water pump or just an engine casting? the pump must be tb driven surely so the visc fan part being on the aux belt must be separate?

weird how the fan exploded in the first place...every blade sheared neatly at the base, and the entire fan was in pieces no bigger than an inch or 2 square...

I need to get a rad but there was quite a few on ebay all slightly different but they all say 1.8t 20v ac yes/no?
so not sure which one to get
who did you get yours from was it good quality?
thanks

its tip top mate, the relist for it is here:

VW PASSAT TDI /AUDI A4/A6 & SKODA SUPERB CAR RADIATOR on eBay (end time 23-Nov-10 06:43:46 GMT)

They are called Budget-Radiators on fleabay - mine is perfect and delivery was lightning honestly, next day delivery by courier if "buy it now" is completed before 12 noon....that is the right one for your car too, the 1.8 1.6 and tdi have the same part. Canny ask for more, £30 delivered!!!

it fit like a glove too and all the audi bits and hose connections dropped right on (well the hose couplers are tight to get on but meant to be for a good seal I think, the oem one was the same) - remember to move your fan switch from the old radiator, the new one has a blanking plug there, and check the new drain plug is tight in case its loosened in transit.

Last edited by a moderator: