Anyone fitted their own towbar/rearbumper on a4 avant?

gixer

Reaction score
Hi,
I am after some advice on fitting a towbar to my 2007/8 a4 avant s line.I believe you have to remove the rear bumper to do this and wondered if anyone has done this who can give any good tips/things to watch out for. I'm looking to fit a "westfalia" removeable type of towbar.
Thanks in advance any advice appreciated
Andy

I know it's been over a month, but you may still need the information. Also, I'm sorry if linking to another forum breaks the rules, but I've created a pdf document on how I fitted a towbar to my 2005 A4 Avant.

Towbar PDF

Thanks for the reply.I really wish I'd read your pdf attatchment before i started fitting my towbar as it is excellent! Unfortunately I have already fitted my westfalia detatchable towbar and genuine Audi 7pin electrics.And very similar to yourself I had an absoloute nightmare.What i thought would take a couple of days took more like a week! And I still have a couple of minor details to finish!
So if anyone is thinking of fitting a towbar i would definately read "sponges" pdf attatchment.
The only things that were different/what i did different on mine were as follows
When removing the rear bumper i left the white clips on the car and pulled off the bumper sides after undoing all the torx bit screws in the wheel arch liner and the 10mm nuts in the boot. (it was very awkward to do without breaking anything) If i were to do it again i would order some new white clips before starting as the originals end up a little out of shape.

With the westfalia towbar you re-attatch the aluminuim bumper support bar.(which i think is a good thing as this helps to keep the strength and shape of your rear bumper if someone nudges the back of your car) i.e. when the car has the tow ball removed of course!

"westfalia" has no nuts and bolts at the point of "towball" attatchment as your "brink" bar.Hence it seems a little better/less to go wrong.

Exactly the same as you I had difficulty removing wires/terminals from the rear of the fuse board and part succeed after many hours of different removal attempts.I strongly recommend aquiring a wire/terminal release tool to anyone who is looking to attempt this work.(i found a few on ebay but as yet not got round to buying one to try) or do audi sell them?

Where you removed/dropped the exhaust heat sheild i just dropped both rear exhausts off the hangers (supporting them) and got access to the main nuts that secure the full towbar itself this way.

The audi specific wiring kit only comes as 7 pin (or so i was told by dealer) and i required 13 pin (westfalia supplied with 13 pin socket) so i ended up connecting the two together and utilised the auxillary socket (fag lighter socket) in the boot for a 12 volt supply (taking care not to exceed 20 amps) required for 13 pin.This 12volt supply meant fitting a split charging relay locally in the boot (size if a pack of chewy) and saved running further wires to the battery/engine bay.

Finally on mine i required no dealer "activation" or set up as i have no park sensors.

when i get chance i will put up a photo of the completed "bar" .
Again looking at your pics of the Brink and having fitted the westfalia i think the westfalia maybe a slightly better (mechanically) and neater choice (bumper cut size seems smaller on mine)
Please dont take this as "mine is better than yours" just trying to give a comparison to anyone looking to buy/fit a detatchable bar.

Again excellent pdf file/pictures "sponge" I'm sure they will help future installers.

Cheers andy

Its a detachable one but I don't know what make it is and when I got the car second hand I never got the tow ball bit. Plus im in Ireland so I think a courier would be a bit expensive, but i'll have a look at it tomorrow night for you.

Im after a detachable one..

Gutted that your not round the corner, could of had a weekend removing from one and putting on the other over a few cold ones

I'm new here and a little late to the game but having spent this whole weekend trying to fit a towbar to my 07 A4 Avant I just had to add some comments.

Ok so firstly the guide above is amazing and anyone about to undertake this project needs it! but i would like to add some foot notes and amendments to help those of us new to the world of cars with this modern voodoo electrical mumbo jumbo.

- the purple lock on the back of the fuse box slides approx 2-3mm which then allows the individual terminals to be removed and inserted. There is a small locking tab about half way up on the right hand side when looking at the wire side. and the whole purple clip slides down. (kept in orientation of picture in the guide). The amount of force needed to do this is about the amount you need to break it so you have been warned.
- If you think you can do all the work yourself and then drive to an Audi dealer for the activation. (this is what I thought) the lights don't work...any of them. this is where i currently am so have just ordered Vag com hoping this will make everything work...
- when reconnecting the batter my keyfob was no longer programmed to my car no problem to reprogram it you do the following
1 hold the unlock button
2 insert key into ignition
3 turn on ignition and count to 2 (slowly)
4 turn off ignition and remove key
5 stop pressing unlock button.

Oh and 1 more hole I fell into with this job. despite what numerous tow bar suppliers, ebay, towequipe etc tell you a towbar from a pre 2004 car will not fit a post 2005 car. the mountings are different and it just wont fit!

On a related note if anyone needs a fixed flange bar for a 2001 - 2004 A4 I have 1 for sale for £50 all fixings included.

cheers

Steve

so quick update. the car is now all good and working :) many thanks to DJ Hirst from Rainham in Kent. the man is a legend!!! highly recommend his guy for any VAG voodoo related wizardry needed.

I'm new here and a little late to the game but having spent this whole weekend trying to fit a towbar to my 07 A4 Avant I just had to add some comments.

Ok so firstly the guide above is amazing and anyone about to undertake this project needs it! but i would like to add some foot notes and amendments to help those of us new to the world of cars with this modern voodoo electrical mumbo jumbo.

- the purple lock on the back of the fuse box slides approx 2-3mm which then allows the individual terminals to be removed and inserted. There is a small locking tab about half way up on the right hand side when looking at the wire side. and the whole purple clip slides down. (kept in orientation of picture in the guide). The amount of force needed to do this is about the amount you need to break it so you have been warned.
- If you think you can do all the work yourself and then drive to an Audi dealer for the activation. (this is what I thought) the lights don't work...any of them. this is where i currently am so have just ordered Vag com hoping this will make everything work...
- when reconnecting the batter my keyfob was no longer programmed to my car no problem to reprogram it you do the following
1 hold the unlock button
2 insert key into ignition
3 turn on ignition and count to 2 (slowly)
4 turn off ignition and remove key
5 stop pressing unlock button.

Oh and 1 more hole I fell into with this job. despite what numerous tow bar suppliers, ebay, towequipe etc tell you a towbar from a pre 2004 car will not fit a post 2005 car. the mountings are different and it just wont fit!

On a related note if anyone needs a fixed flange bar for a 2001 - 2004 A4 I have 1 for sale for £50 all fixings included.

cheers

Steve
Hi do you still have the towbar for the 2001-2005 a4. dose it come with electrics or not thanks luke

I know it's been over a month, but you may still need the information. Also, I'm sorry if linking to another forum breaks the rules, but I've created a pdf document on how I fitted a towbar to my 2005 A4 Avant.

Towbar PDF
Could you please update link if possible? Thanks

Would also like to read updated link if possible! Thanks

Reactions: ninthtoe