Annoying tailgate rattle

MarkoWol

Reaction score
Anyone experience an annoying rattle from the tailgate on their A5 Sportback? Sounds like a plasticky click. I think it may be from the rubber stoppers as when I twist them around it stops, but only temporarily.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
I’ve had a couple.

One was my fault - I’d removed the trim to fit my rear camera - Audi fitted it properly for me after I asked them to look at it !

The other was the rear parcel shelf not fitted correctly after I’d moved some stuff to the tip.

Try this one first and if no joy take to the dealers to look at. They told me it will be markedly affected by the temperature due to expansion and contraction of the plastics.

Also there are a bunch of TSBs related to rattles in the car. Check them out, in case they affect your car.

Thanks for the comments. I’ll drop it in at the local dealership and pass on all of these. What are TSB’s by the way?

I have mine booked in next week for this rattle among others. Il let you know what the results are. I would be interested in seeing what TSBs are out for the A5.

Reactions: MarkoWol
Thanks for the heads up on the TSB’s I’m just on with booking the car into the dealership now. This is good info to have up my sleeve

I have mine booked in next week for this rattle among others. Il let you know what the results are. I would be interested in seeing what TSBs are out for the A5.
Did your car go into the dealership?

Did your car go into the dealership?

Still there at the moment, two working days so far!

They have only been able to replicate one of my rattles, but at least they have adjusted the seatbelt harness so should get rid of that rattle. I provided some additional information for them to fault find so hopefully they find the rest today.

Got my car back today. The tailgate has been adjusted (latch adjusted and bump stop heights adjusted). Seems to have done the trick.

Only just seen this, didn’t get a notification of your reply.

That sounds encouraging then. Mine also sounds like it’s coming from the tailgate latch area and I did mess with the rubber stops, which alleviated the problem but only temporarily.

Has yours stopped completely and not returned?

In part, the noise is better however when the ambient is cooler there are still some noise coming from the rear. I will do some more investigation and book it back in with Audi as there is another noise they didnt fully get rid off. The have so far been quite helpfull.

Mine went in today and I’m expecting it back tomorrow. I did put two tissue ‘pads’ on top of the rubber stoppers on the tailgate and this all but cured it. Let’s see what the dealership comes up with...

I been trying to get to the bottom of my noise which sounds like a plastic ticking coming from the parcel shelf area. With the boot completely empty and parcel shelfs removed with seats down, same noise can be heard.

The noise seems far more prominent at low ambients <20 deg C. With the recent higer temperatures cant seem to hear it.

Will try removing the wheel jack etc just in case its something in there causing the sound.

Symptons sounds more similar to what is mention in this thread regarding the welding:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/au...back-rear-rattle-over-bumps-~-35-mph-2950933/

Haven't had my car back yet to confirm but the dealership has located the source of the noise in the tailgate. They replaced the boot latch as this was the source of the ticking noise. The creaking was apperently caused by the rear light which has now been padded and the noise cleared, they also lubed up the boot stops. Dealership have since driven the car and confirmed the noises have been eradicated.

Hopefully collecting my car later so will confirm 100% after a few days if the fixes from the delaership have solved the issue.

Sorry to bump an old thread, looks like there's some suggestion the bump stops can make a big difference.

Are you adjusting them via the screw? Are you raising them (anticlockwise) or lowering them?

I have suffered with a bad rattle on my 2017 B9 Sportback in the UK (RHD). I have tried so many different things, and have reduced the number of noises but the main one remains.

I have listed below everything I have tried so far. It's under an approved used warranty so if i can't resolve it myself soon i'm going to try that route, as it is loud enough for me to feel something is broken, I can hear it over music at normal volumes.

The noise. It is immediately after the rear wheels hit harsh bumps, like a line that has been cut out of the tarmac and isn't level for instance. As the suspension is quite hard it causes a shockwave through the rear and to tell the truth, the thing i think it sounds most like is the tailgate jumping up and down slightly (no visible movement though). Over long rough terrain it doesn't keep repeating it's most evident on single, harsh bumps. As the tailgate on this model is so long and quite flat, to me it makes sense that any movement would be quite significant. I think the noise is higher in the car rather than lower than the boot floor.

I think I can rule out:
-The parcel shelves because whilst they do make noise it is the same whether they are in or out
-The spare wheel/tools as i have removed them
-The rear seat bench as it's the same whether it's flat or fixed and everything in between

Rear seat bench:
-Felt between seat and plastic pillars
-Felt on metal latches
-Foam forced down the back of the larger seat portion to reduce movement

Boot floor/Tool area:
-Tools removed
-Tool tray padded out to reduce movement
-Rubber boot liner added to muffle sounds
-Temporary sound deadening under the liner
-Stuffed side pockets/fuse areas with some padding to minimise movement

Wheel well:
-Battery terminal cover padded with sponge and clamped down
-Battery cables wrapped in microfibre where they meet the bodywork
-Subwoofer checked for movement
-Spare wheel checked for movement (Removed completely for testing)

Parcel shelves:
-Felt added to 3x pins on window shelf (Now removed as it has stretched the locating pins - will have to squeeze them tighter again.
-Temporary foam added where window shelf meets seat shelf - didn't do anything

Other:
-Checked number plate surround for movement - I have removed it completely as there was movement but it's not that.
-Checked seatbelt mechanisms - Nothing obvious
-Check for felt on underside of boot latch hinge - Had the standard felt, added more, no difference
-Add felt to spring back on parcel shelf - Done
-Check if rattles reduced with centre seat down but either side up - Done, louder, not the seats.
-Check rear pillar above speakers - This was actually unclipped, have clicked it back in but it isn't the source of the noise - I had a dent removed from the roof so the lining has been out (noise existed before).
-With seats down check for tailgate movement - This i am struggling to check but want to, no way to replicate
-Add felt between rear window and plastic boot inner - Added some sponge and heard sqeaking as if there is movement - the noise was there but with added squeaking, it's possible that there is movement and the squeaking evidence,
-Add felt to rear door latches - tried it but doors wouldn't open smoothly so removed.
-Add padding between spare wheel and the boot liner - Temporary sound deadening

Todo:
-Adjust boot stops
-Check rear bump stops seated properly (Bulletin 2038689/3)
-The piece of trim that houses the boot/trunk led strip light, on one side that trim is when screwed in, it's creaking. I have tried to remove this piece but can't figure out how. Unscrewing it however seems to have resolved it so I have just left the screws out for now.

Reactions: S32B