Annoying Rattle

amoffat

Reaction score
Website
www.uk.experian.com
I have got the most annoying rattle (no notmy gf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) in my car at the mo and my dealer is being typically s**t about it. It is the passenger side piano trim with the electric window switch. If I hold it down really hard the rattle stops.... unfortunately this is proving difficult at 80+ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the trim so that I can put something underneath (like cement ) to fix it. I have tried turning the volume up, but I would need a 300 watt amp and speakers to drown this rattle out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Not sure mate.

I take it you've removed the small, curved, plastic plate behind the door pull handle? That isn't explained well, i.e. not the brushed alloy handle, but the piano finish one.

You have my sympathy !

The plastic covering the dials on my S3 rattles - it's fine if you can drive along holding it down but like you say, tricky most of the time !!!

You can take the door card off as follows: -

1. Undo the screw behind the foor handle and remove the plastic piece of trim.

2. Undo the two screws that are then revealed.

3. Remove the two screws that are on the top of the door card on the edges (ie the bits that are not exposed when the doors are closed)

4. Just lift the door card up and it should pop out.

Try doing this and then putting it back again, you never know....

hth...

uh oh, I know if I try this I will end up with screws left over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I always do.

Thanks for the help though, I will try on a warmer day.

[ QUOTE ]
You have my sympathy !

The plastic covering the dials on my S3 rattles - it's fine if you can drive along holding it down but like you say, tricky most of the time !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the very same rattle in my S3 - I also had it in my A3 1.8T, which went back to the dealer so many times for them to get this rattle sorted out... They always came back with the stock answer "well we've packed it out, so it should be OK now..". Er.. bo****ks!!!

Alex.

It drives me crazy and into a rage now when I want to have the stereo turned off..... I want peace and quiet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I get a rattle of of my glove box lock, but only when the car is cold ie the 'choke' is on. It goes once the engine warms up. DOH

S3 MOFF

I would leave any trim removal to your dealer. How much did the trim round the cup holder cost? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

James

agghh I can't win - turn the stereo up so I can't hear the rattles and the vibration frequency of the stereo is setting off one of the buzzes !!!!